6. On Whom the Burden Rests

"So, are you gonna make a move or what?"

Booth, who was returning to his desk coffee in one hand, donut in the other, stared back at them blankly. They were all gathered around. Cam, Angela, Sweets.

What is this?

"Who gave you permission to come in here?" he asked, rudely.

"I work for the FBI, too, agent Booth. I can come and go as I please."

"No," Booth said, a little threatening. "You can come and go and I please. And right now, I don't please. So... out. All of you."

"No."

He blinked, surprised. Has the boy finally grown a spine?

"Look, Booth, we just wanted to see if..." Cam started.

"If you were ever gonna move your ass and tell her," Angela brilliantly finished.

"Tell her what?"

They didn't buy it.

What you should've asked is 'Tell whom what'.

They kept staring at him like they were all expecting something.

"Can I drink my coffee first?" he asked.

Sure, make a joke, big man.

"I think it's time, Booth..." Cam told him in a calm voice.

He burst out in laughter. Un-freaking-believable! He shook his head and put down his coffee, because he didn't want to waste it by throwing it on them. And he laughed again. No. Way.

"You can't be serious," he dropped.

He took a step towards them. And magically, they all took a step back.

"You've got to be kidding me!" he continued, a little more aggressively. "Let me get this straight."

He pointed two fingers at Cam.

"YOU told me to wait. YOU," he barked, pointing to Sweets, "told me it was all in my head! Then you publish your crap and tell her for me, and NOW, you think it's time? And YOU..."

Now pointing to Angela, he stopped.

"You actually never told me anything. But it's still none of your business. So my question is," he asked them all, "what the hell's wrong with you, people?!"

"We wanted to make sure you wouldn't hurt her unnecessarily," Sweets explained.

"Sure! 'Cause, you know, my main goal in life is to break her heart."

"We just didn't want you to make a rash decision," Camille argued.

"A rash decision?! I've been in love with her forever!"

Their faces lit up like he were Santa Claus and they all smiled at each other.

"Well, there you go!"

"He's got it."

"That wasn't so hard, was it?"

And they left him with a half squeezed donut in his hand.

Paperwork was done. Thai food was eaten. Now, Booth.

He opened his mouth...

"All done?" he asked. He cursed himself for being such a retarded coward and took the chopsticks and the container she was holding before she even had a chance to respond.