10

The cafeteria was one of the best places to waste time within the hospital. One just needed to idly snack on something at one of the many semi-comfortable table and chair settings, and anyone would assume the person was on a well-deserved break from their busy work day. Munching in a cafeteria was an excellent place to blend in and not be noticed. Add in a book to bury one's nose in, and the situation was guaranteed to look inconspicuous. That was how I survived public school before moving to South Carolina. I had perfected the skill of being shy.

Too bad I didn't have a book on me. Or money to buy a snack. I didn't even have the means to get a simple bottle of water. If I wanted to stay in the cafeteria, I would be reduced to play on my phone and looking bored at a television screen showing nothing but flooded streets. Appearing to be bored while unaccompanied was practically inviting strangers to talk to me, and I have already met so many new people today. I was tangled up in so much of their business. There was no more energy to even attempt to connect to more strangers if I could help it.

I needed time to think about my mission. How to help fix Dr. Sean. Since the cafeteria wasn't suitable, my remaining option was the office that smelled like the boys, the office where whispers of their presence lingered.

For the second time that day, I trekked to the basement level to the unmarked door past the sign that said the area was for employees only. The door was still unlocked from the last time I was there, which was probably a bad thing. Anyone could have entered and taken the stuff inside. I didn't keep anything important in my overnight bag other than a small amount of cash, but the boys have taught me that money is a trivial thing. I wouldn't miss thirty dollars or the change of soggy clothes if my bag was taken. I was more worried for Dr. Sean's bag and the manila files forever piled on the center table. Those were vastly more important than my material possessions.

I needed to ask if I could be allowed a key to this office since I was spending more time here. The boys already trusted me with the keys to their homes, even if I rarely used them. Kota said I would get keys to their cars when I started driving too. Having access to this room was along the same lines right?

Maybe not. Why should the responsibility of a facility within a hospital be given to a plain girl who didn't work there? If I were to forget to lock up, and things went missing, Dr. Green would be the one to get into trouble. I did not want to risk his career, so I resolved to ask for access each time and be careful to lock up every time.

I settled onto a two seater couch along the side wall. The upholstery smelled lightly of musk. North's seat. My feet slipped out of my sandals and tucked in under me as I leaned into the arm of the sofa, trying to sort my tangled mess of thoughts.

A few minutes later, the door swing open without a shred of warning. I bolted upright from the loveseat, then sank back into my seat with a groan when I realized I left the door unlocked again. No keys for Sang. I wasn't responsible enough to be trusted with them.

Dr. Green's eyes stared wide at me when he froze in the doorway. "Sang? Why are you here?"

My heart sank, weighing heavily in the pit of my stomach. He didn't want me. I was in his way. A burden. A nuisance.

"I'm sorry." My voice waivered. "I didn't have any place else to go."

He stepped fully inside and closed the door behind him. "Why do you look like I just snatched your favorite kitten right out of your hands?"

My body rattled and shook as I tried desperately to reign in sobs. It took so much effort to control myself, my tongue refused to work. I could not answer him.