3. All Thanks To Him

You felt warm—you'd never felt this kind of warmth, before. The last time you checked, you were on a dark, rainy street, with cuts and bruise marks around your neck. Now? You opened your eyes. You were in a plain white bed, and the room was also relatively plain. A bed, bedside cabinet, and a wardrobe. As you sat up, you realised your arms, torso and neck were bandaged neatly. Your neck stung whenever you touched it; your dad had really strangled you hard. You looked to the side of you and saw there was a note folded over in a triangular prism-like shape so it stood up. Picking it up, you opened it up, and read.

(F/N),

It's just me, Emil.

I found you on the street covered in blood, so I took you back to my house. I'll be back soon, but I've gone out for now. I was meant to get food last but ended up finding you instead. My brother is somewhere in the house, so don't be surprised if you hear someone else. He also knows you're here. I told him to check to see whether you're awake. When I come back, we can talk, and you can tell me what happened.

You signed in relief, yet also anxiety. He was going to ask you how you became so beaten up. You could lie, but how could you lie to Emil? Your thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"C-Come in." You stuttered, placing the note back down on the desk. A man, quite similar to Emil, opened the door. He had blue eyes and blonde hair, with a small curl extending from the side. He had a glass of water in his hand, and he tasked his eyebrows upon seeing you awake.

"You read the note, I assume?" He said, placing the water on the desk, and you nodded in response. "Well, I'm Lukas, Emil's big brother," he said, putting emphasis on the 'big brother' part as if he was showing off.

"It's nice to meet you," you muttered. "Thanks for the water." You picked the water and slowly started to sip it. Lukas looked like he was deep in thought before randomly asking a question.

"Are you Emil's girlfriend?" He asked, making your cheeks flare red, and you almost choked on your water. You hastily placed it down, and vigorously shook your head.

"W-What!? No!" You said, avoiding eye contact, your face was becoming increasingly red. Lukas looked slightly disappointed.

"So... You're just his friend?" He asked, this time, you nodded. "But you're still close, right?" You thought for a moment. He WAS your first real friend, most would say that you were both close. You nodded.

"I guess so."

"He seemed incredibly worried about you when he came home," he said gazing at you. "It's nice to see he has someone close to him. He was always an introvert, and a loner, since I lived in Norway, and he lived in Iceland, we never really spent much time together until now." He sounded so sincere, he was truly concerned about his family—his brother—that was something your parents never showed you. "Thanks for looking after him." You gazed down at your bandages.

"It's me who should be thanking him, he's the one who helped me." You smiled, just thinking of his face... Wait? Did you just think of him in that way? Your cheeks turned red without you realising it. You heard a chuckle from next to you, you looked back up to Lukas.

"You definitely like him," he laughed. You pouted, unknowingly turning redder.

"N-No! I do not!" You protested, and he motioned to your face.

"It's easy to tell by your face, your cheeks are bright red." He laughed quietly again, and you put your hand on your cheeks, feeling that what he said was true; they were bright red, and steaming hot. You folded your arms and pouted while Lukas smirked. You could hear footsteps outside the house; Emil was back.

"By the way, when he comes in to check on you, call him elska, he'll like that," he said, walking over to the door. He closed it, his footsteps growing quieter and quieter. The door downstairs opened and closed. You could hear him pace around the house for a while before coming upstairs. The door opened, revealing Emil at the door.

"(F/N), you're feeling better?" He asked upon seeing you. You nodded.

"Y-Yes." Your cheeks turned redder and heated by the second. This was all Lukas's fault!

"What's wrong, your cheeks are a little red, are you sick?" He said putting his hand on your head, which only helped your face turned redder if that was possible. You bit your lip and tested out the new phrase Lukas gave you.

"I'm fine, e-elska!" You stuttered, closing your eyes tight.

"Good beca-" He stopped mid-sentence, his mouth open in slight shock, and remained silent for a while. You slowly opened your eyes, only to see Emil's face slowly turning red. "...W-What?" He managed to stutter out. A small laugh came from the doorway, both of you turned to look at the door, and Lukas was stood at the side of the door frame, quietly smirking to himself.

"Y-You!" Emil shouted, his face now red with anger and embarrassment. "You told her to say that didn't you!?" He said, pointing an accusing finger at his brother. He didn't even need an answer, Lukas's smirking expression already told him.

"What does it mean?" You asked, and that only made it worse.

"Well, it means l-" Before he could finish the sentence, Emil ran up to him, and covered his mouth with his hand.

"Nothing! It means nothing!" He yelled, looking a little red and flustered. He dragged his brother out the room, and down the hall. You felt the corners of your mouth perk up into a smile. It was one of the first time you'd smiled properly in years.

All thanks to him.

---