Chapter 8 *Teaser*

Written by @EdnaAlicePine

C H R I S T I A N

"Hi." He stood there, rigged, just inside the door.

Swallowing, I force a smile onto my face, opening the door wider. "H-Hi."

For a second we just stood there, looking at each other, until he cleared his throat. "So.. do you want to come in or..," He spoke, unsure.

I blinked, forgetting that I was still standing here. In the doorway. "Uh, yeah! Yeah. I just... yeah." I sputtered, suddenly brain dead.

Really? I can't even say a complete sentence around him, and it hasn't even been two minutes?

As he turned around swiftly, leading me through the house. I turned towards the stairs that led up to his bedroom almost on auto pilot, since that's where we usually have our sessions. I was about to take the first step when I felt a tug on the back of my shirt, so I turned around.

Atticus- it didn't feel right to call him Atty anymore with the obvious strain- stood a couple steps away, arms stiff at his sides. "Uh, can we do this in the living room? I kinda want a change of scenery." He said, without looking at me. Liar.

I frowned, "Change of scenery? Listen, Atticus, if you don't want to do this, or if being alone with me makes you uncomfortable, then I'm just gonna go-," I started.

"I said, I just want a change of scenery, okay?! We're here because I need you to teach me, alright? I could care less about being alone with you." He scowled at me, then turned around and stalked into where I'm guessing the living room was.

Blinking away the waves that were suddenly swimming in my eyes, I breath in for a moment. He let you in, I told myself. If he wasn't going to forgive me, he wouldn't have let me into the house would he?

He only let you in the house because he needs you to help him study, remember? Or did you suddenly forget why you came here? And what did I do wrong for him to act like this? I defended him! And this is what I get?

Now, instead of sad, I was angry. I didn't do anything he said not to, I never intruded on his business, I never forced him to talk about his Mom or Dad, I barely even talked to him outside of school! I haven't done anything he could be upset with me about...except the maybe beating those guys up, but.. It was the only way I could think of helping him! And it's not like the entire school knows that I helped him, either. Hell, no one knows I'm even tutoring him, for fuck's sake!

Letting my backpack slide off my shoulder and hit the floor, I stalk into the living room, ready to ask him why the hell was he mad?