Chapter XI: The New Skills

You are in the darkness. It could be real, or it could be just your mind, again. Are you alone? You feel alone. You could be alone. But you know you aren't alone, because there's me, always with you. Here, I'll make this a more proper conversation. You hear a booming voice from all around you, or maybe from inside you.

"This is much better, a proper conversation. Now, down to why I have called you here. I will give you a choice. Do you want to continue with this story?"

"Yes, I'd love to keep being a pawn on you chessboard. You realize my sarcasm, I hope."

"I hope you are understanding the irony of that statement. Who used to be the chess player?"

"Oh be quiet, that isn't at all the same situation. I gave you freedom to do whatever you wished. I was a great leader."

"Do you want to continue. Yes or no?"

"Why are you asking me such a stupid question?"

"You are running around like an idiot. You don't want to talk to people or do anything. You act like you'd rather die. Yes or no?"

"What happens if I say no?"

"The story will end. Without a main character there will be no story to tell. It will all be over, for better or worse. But I will make you an offer, in hopes to weigh your decision. I will let you change one thing about the game, other than being the Writer."

"Anything I want?"

"Other than being the Writer, or bringing back genies, anything at all."

"Give me my hair back."

"Is that it? Just your hair?"

"Can I ask for more?"

"I'm in a generous mood."

"Give me the ability of ninjas, Batman, and secret spies combined."

"Who's Batman?"

"You're on a computer right now, correct?"

"I believe that is what it's called."

"Do some digging around on the thing called the internet and you'll find out."

"Um, okay, hold on a moment...Oh my goodness, that was incredible. I just learned so much about your culture. I thought you were alone, but no, you live in your own world. It's just like my world but with much more depth to it. Do you have a Writer as well?"

"Well, it's different, he has another name, but in a way it is the same. Back to the point, are you going to give me the skills?"

"After my research, yes that would make this story much better. Alright then, we'll talk later." The booming voice fades away along with the surrounding darkness. You realize that you are now laying on a bench in a prison cell with Diamond and Angel. A musty smell fills the small room along with a little light. A guard is standing a little ways away from the outside of the iron bar door. There is a plate on the floor and a dead rat in the corner. Have fun.

"Offspring of a genie. Where am I now?!"

Angel turns to you and says "About time you woke up. I had almost thought you were dead."

"How did we get here, what happened?" I say while sitting up.

"Well, while we were running through the woods we got shot by tranquilizer darts."

"Why on earth did they arrest us? All I've done is escape from an inn, and that's not illegal."

"Actually, they brought us in because of, uh, my past crimes. I have gained quite a record. The only reason I was never arrested before was because of my service to help with the kingdom, but that contract has ended. Oh, when did you grow a beard?"