Chapter XXI: The Reward

You spend the whole night staying up and waiting for Angel to come to your room in the inn, but she never comes. The sun has begun to rise, ending the long night. Sarah is still sleeping, and this reminds you of how exhausted you are. Not sleeping will do that to you. 

I do not need sleep.

Yes, yes you do. You are not an all powerful deity anymore, remember?

I do what I want. I stay awake.

Here is a word of advice. You can stay up as long as you want, but if you want something to happen and for you to be able to respond in a lively manner, I recommend that you go to bed.

Here's the thing, I'm not tired. I stay awake.

Let me try this again using some figurative language. Your eyelids feel like a thousand years are pressing down upon them, only wishing to be closed. Your entire body aches for resting, and every movement uses all your energy. The slightest blink reminds your pupils of what could be. Oh how lovely that bed looks. It calls out to you with it's sweet comfort. The early sunlight dances and plays off the sheets into your weary eyes. You can barely think because your brain is in full gear, focusing on staying awake. Your engine could fail at any minute now, and who knows how you would react. All you need is that sleep, all you want is to sleep. Sweet sleep.

Alright, fine! I'll go to bed. I groggily shuffle over to the bed and wake up Sarah. “You have to keep watch now. I'm going to sleep. Wake me up if something happens.”

She is a bit upset at being awakened, but she does as you ask.

I go to sleep.

Ah, there you go, that wasn't so hard. The sleep feels like a welcomed friend that you have been anticipating for some time. The warmth of the blankets ease your scarred and bruised body into a lovely dream. It is a very interesting dream. You dream that you dance in a field with Sarah, Diamond, and even Angel. After frolicking for a merry minute or so, the sky, which was a bright blue, gets cloudy and darkens. Blade emerges from the gray clouds and takes Diamond and Angel with a swipe of his murderous hand. He stares down at you, yelling “Come and find your 'friends' Mad Man. Ha ha ha ha ha!” He takes Angel and Diamond to a loaf of bread, covered in blood. Sarah yells at you to follow them, but you do not listen. Instead, you lay down in the flowers and smile. Suddenly Sarah turns into dust. The dust blows into your face, it feels cold and wet. Then you wake up to water being splashed in your face. You look up and see Sarah holding a cup. Sarah is clearly nervous as she says frantically in a whisper “There's a guard outside the room looking for you!”

I bolt out of bed and grab my sword. I walk up to the door and call “Who is it?”

“I'm with the Hiddegy guard.” A deep voice replies. “We're doing an inspection, looking for a wanted murderer by the name of Drake.”

“Yes, I think I heard about him. He's very good looking and rather dangerous.”

“Sir, I'm going to have to search your room. We have heard reports that he is in this area, particularly at this inn.”

“That would be fine if I wasn't completely naked. ” I lie. “Would you still like to come in?”

“Oh uh, no, that will not be necessary. I'll just come back in a few minutes.”

“I heard rumors that he's staying in the bakery down the street.”

“Thanks for your help sir, I'll make sure we look into it. Have a great day.”