Chapter Seven: When Worlds Collide

He was waiting for me as usual, his beautiful grey eyes swimming with concern. He reached out to embrace me. "You seem distressed."

"You could say that. I found out that this girl, Ann, has been harassing Kai, and tonight she came into my workplace and shoplifted. Jez saw me handing her the shirts on video, then Ann coming out of the fitting room holding the one shirt she bought but we couldn't see into the fitting room, which meant that we don't have proof that Ann actually stole from us. Security told us that since I didn't actually see it happen, it was an internal issue. Jez won't ask me to, but I'm going to have to pay for those tops. I was responsible and it's weighing really heavily on me," I babbled, my words starting to run together as I felt tears stinging my eyes when I recalled the defeated look on Jez's face earlier tonight. She didn't hold me responsible, but to an outsider, it would look like I was Ann's accomplice.

"You're so honest and good, Hikari," he said sympathetically as he brushed my cheek with one hand, as he continued to hold me with the other. "I wish I could have been there to help."

"I wish that you existed outside of my dreams."

There was nothing else after that. For the rest of the night I slumbered in a deep, dreamless sleep.

***

When I woke up it was six in the morning and I felt like hell warmed over. I rolled onto my side and saw a note taped to my door:

'V –

I just want you to know

that I'm here for you.

-K'

I sighed, not looking forward to having to rehash last night's events with Kai. I was glad he didn't make a fuss when I told him Jez would be driving me home. He took it well when I gave him curt answers about how my night at work had gone as I sulked past him on the way to my bedroom.

I knew that he probably called Jez up and grilled her about what happened at work last night. And why wouldn't she tell him? They're acquainted and get along well enough for her to know that he's a good guy, and she knows that he's my best friend. However, I couldn't help but to feel a tinge of annoyance. I wasn't ready to talk about what happened, and I didn't want to make him feel like the situation was somehow his fault.

Very quietly, I walked to the doorway of my bedroom. His door was closed, and since I couldn't hear the loud clacking of his keyboard, I knew that he wasn't working on anything for a client. He was still asleep.

As swiftly and quietly as I could, I got dressed for school and jotted a quick reply on the note he stuck to my door.

'Decided to walk to school today coz I woke up so early. I'm fine. See you later.'

About forty minutes later I was sitting at my desk in homeroom waiting for class to start when Mr. Harris stopped by my desk to talk. "We have a new student joining our class today; the office sent me an e-mail and said that your schedule is nearly identical to his, so he'll be shadowing you today."

"Okay," I said nonchalantly. It wasn't like I was being asked, so what else was there to say?

I was looking down at my notebook when Mr. Harris cleared his throat to get the attention of the class. When I looked up, my throat went dry. I found myself staring into a pair of very familiar soulful grey eyes.

"Class, this is our new student, Nox Bright."

There were murmurs among my classmates about the handsome new student. I felt warmth spreading across my cheeks and the back of my neck. Was this possible? Could he be here?

"Nox, you can have a seat next to Vilvian." Mr. Harris said as he gestured vaguely in my direction.

I smiled at Nox as he took his seat, uncertain of how to act or what to say. In the end I chose to say nothing at all, and focused on getting through homeroom until I could get a minute alone with him. Time proceeded slowly, almost feeling like it wasn't moving at all.

When homeroom finally ended I took my time gathering my things, giving me time to think of what I wanted to say. Nox had his backpack casually slung over one shoulder as he stood waiting for me. I grabbed my Elliot Luca bag by its backpack straps and made my way tentatively over to him. When I was close enough, he reached out toward me and slipped his hand into mine.

"Is this okay?" he asked

Looking down at our intertwined fingers, I blushed. "I don't know," I looked up at him, "is it really you, Nox?"

He smiled sweetly at me. "Ask me anything," he said.

"Tell me something only Nox would know."

He leaned in and whispered into my ear and as the words came, I felt my eyes widen. It couldn't be possible, and yet here he was... my Nox. Maybe I finally lost all my marbles and I can't tell the difference between a dream and reality anymore. Oh well, at least I've been happy lately...

I tightened my hold on his hand and squeezed. "Come on, let's go to our next class," I gently pulled him along as I led the way.

By the end of the school day, Nox and I were the most talked about students on campus. There were a few sour grapes in the bunch, whispers wondering how and why we got together but I let the mean comments roll off my back – the worst ones were made by the people who knew me the least.

"May I walk you home?" We were standing on the sidewalk in front of the school. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other awkwardly and gave his hand a little squeeze.

"I think I'd like that," I said with a smile.

Just as I answered, a familiar white sports car pulled up next to us. The passenger window rolled down, and Kai was leaning over from the driver's seat, staring a hole through Nox. "Vilv, I was worried about you so I thought I'd try to pick you up today." Kai's voice sounded strained, though he made his best effort to look cheerful.

"Oh..." I said, letting my words trail off. My stomach knotted up. I felt guilty for avoiding Kai, but the guilt suddenly took on a new depth. Why did I feel so anxious about him seeing me with Nox? Now I know this isn't a dream...

"It's okay, I'll walk you home another day," Nox said as he gently let go of my hand and kissed the top of my head. "Hey, you must be Kai. I'm Vilv's boyfriend, Nox. She's told me so much about you."

"It was nice to meet you," Kai said coolly in response before he turned his head forward and rolled up the window.

I smiled apologetically at Nox as I got into the car. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"You might see me sooner than that," he said with a wink as he walked off.

 ---

A huge "thank you" to @moonlightwalk for designing the lovely banner in the media above. ❤️