Chapter 5

Ian wasted no time. A courier came to Lilia's apartment the next day with a contract for me to sign. He must have had it drawn up before he'd even approached me, so sure that I'd take the job. The arrogance . . . how admirable.

I read it over several times and made a few changes. It was a one-year deal with an option in the second year. I accepted the two and a half percent, but asked for five in the second year. I had it back in the morning to Devin Brown, Ian's primary attorney. I waited for a response by chain-smoking and pacing my jail-sized bedroom. The contract came signed less than twenty-four hours later. He'd accepted every revision.

I had a job! The most amazing job a person could dream of having and I was scared shitless.

I met with Devin Brown at Ian's posh penthouse a week later. Devin, an elegant Brit with a dry sense of humour and shiny silver hair, could have been anyone's grandfather except for the Armani suits. He was also gay, a detail Ian felt I needed to know in one of his many texts. Maybe he had a problem with Devin's lifestyle? If so, it didn't bother me. And yes, I'd broken down and got myself a phone.

"You'll be a breath of fresh air around here," Devin said. "Let me warn you that Max is a little out of date in many respects."

"But I've heard great things about him."

Devin made a slight eye roll. "He's certainly memorable, as are you, but in a very different way."

His hazel eyes warmed me like cocoa and I had the urge to reach out and hug him. "Thank you, Devin."

"I talked to Saul Whitman and he had nothing but praise. I think Ian made a wise decision taking you on."

I was in awe of Devin. I felt a need to bow down to him, like he was British royalty. The tailored suits, the all-knowing English accent, the way he carried himself, like he was walking on air. I felt as elegant as an elephant browsing fine china.

"You are too kind. It's not often that a girl gets complimented by two such distinguished gentlemen."

He patted my hand. "Yes, Ian's made a very wise decision."

He went on to explain that Ian was a business and he was the caretaker. I was one of many other lawyers working 'at the firm'.

"I don't attend races, they're a tad too noisy for me, but you can call me if you need anything. Here's some valuable advice. Think of a race weekend as a prison with no conjugal visits."

"That bad?"

"I'm afraid so. If you assert yourself, and I have no fears about that, then everything should be just fine."

First stop, Australia.

#

My living arrangements couldn't last much longer. Not only did I have to study, I needed to pore over Ian's paperwork. Devin had two cardboard boxes full of documents sent to the apartment, taking up half my room. I tried to go through them, but Lilia and Piero's disruptions made it difficult. The clanging of pots and pans always led me to believe she was making a ten course meal, which usually resulted in nothing more than a plate of pasta. The front door was constantly opening and slamming shut. Worse still were Lilia's loud telephone conversations. She wanted me to know how important her life was. And Piero? He spent more time in the apartment than I did so something had to give. The moment I returned from Australia I'd have to find a new home. For the time being, I would suffer.

I packed everything I could think of for my trip. I squeezed pens, pencils, highlighters, notepads, textbooks and a calculator to convert currencies in my smaller bag while the other was filled with shoes, toiletries, cosmetics, fashion magazines and, of course, clothes. I had no idea what was proper attire so I brought everything.