Chapter 19

Paul must have said something to Ian because for a few days he went out of his way to be kind, something he'd never done before. He'd scheduled a massage for me with his therapist and commandeered a pair of sunglasses from Bentall that were ten sizes too big for my face. I looked like an extra for a cheesy seventies porno.

Taking advantage of Ian's good spirits, I arranged for a meeting that Monday to discuss his next contract. Before it started I stopped by Devin's office to catch up. He poured me a brandy and sat at his enormous oak desk. Like Devin, it was immaculate.

"We don't see enough of each another," he said, reading my mind.

"Why don't you come out to a few races? We'd love to have you," I said, sipping my brandy. It melted down my throat.

"I'm not one for motor racing. Too loud."

My proposal was lying on his desk, the one I planned to submit to Ian, Max and Paul. I trusted Devin and he had the ability to put me at ease just like my dad. "I see you've had a chance to look it over?"

"You did a tremendous job. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it."

"Thank you." My cheeks warmed with his praise. I wanted to hug him, but Devin wasn't the type for overt shows of affection.

"How's Paul getting on?" he asked, crossing one leg over the other.

"We have a great arrangement and Ian's happy to have him back."

Devin, nodded, a slow methodical nod.

His reaction piqued my interest. "You seem perturbed."

Devin's face lightened. "Perturbed? I was lost in thought, that's all. Now you better not leave Ian waiting. We know how impatient he gets."

Why was he rushing me out? Once again Paul had left another of my friends at a loss for words.

I found everyone waiting for me in the boardroom. Wondering how this would go, I took my seat, flipped open my briefcase and pulled out copies of my proposal.

"Gentlemen, I want you to know that I'm confident that I'll get Antonio's attention with this. If he wants Ian as much as I think he does, he'll capitulate."

Ian glanced at his watch and tapped his fingers on the table. They sounded like a galloping horse on amphetamines. Thump, thump, thump, thump.

Max sighed heavily and shook his head. "Darling, darling, darling, Antonio doesn't capitulate."

"Well, he'll have to negotiate."

"He barely does that."

More clock-watching. Where did Ian have to go that was more important than this?

"Leda, dear, you do realise how difficult these contracts are to alter?"

"Max, in my short career I've learned that any contract can be broken or at the very least, changed."

"At what cost?"

"It doesn't cost anything to try."

"Why unnecessarily piss off Antonio?"

"My intention isn't to piss him off."

Ian turned up his wrist and I snapped. "Give me that damn watch!" I held out my hand until he took it off. I tossed it into my briefcase. "I want your full attention. Heidi can wait an hour."

I passed out copies of what I planned to present to Donato. I gave them several minutes to absorb the modified contract. The content was the same but the numbers had changed. Max was the first to finish reading, Paul second. Ian was a few minutes behind, but it had nothing to do with being unable to understand. He was absorbing the numbers and making calculations in his head.