When The Time Comes, And It Will, It's Me Or Him

"What is it?" Steve asked.

"The government is calling for strict jurisdiction on all of the 'superheroes' of the world. That means you Rogers." Fury replied.

Steve cocked his head and spoke with a confused tone, "What do you mean?"

Fury let out a heavy breath, "I mean, the government wants to keep tabs on you all. They want to know who you are, what you're doing, where you're at, 24/7. 'The public has to know' they said."

Steve lightly shook his head, "But they know who I am. I'm in a museum."

Fury gave his classic, matter-of-fact tone, "Yes you are, but they don't know who Natasha is, Clint, Thor, Banner, Maximoff, no one knows who the hell or what the hell Vision is, and they even want to keep tabs on some street level vigilantes, most of which I've never heard of."

Natasha chimed in, "Street level vigilantes, what do you mean? I thought the avengers' is all that there were?"

"So you'd think." Fury said, "Turns out there were other contenders who we felt just didn't cut it. When I say we, I mean everyone who was behind the Avengers initiative, meaning me."

"Like who?" Steve asked.

Fury grew annoyed, "I only know so much."

"Who are they?" Natasha asked angrily.

"I don't know who they are, only what they call themselves. Some guy the public is calling, 'DareDevil', a man, who I believe is a child, 'Spider-Man', and Steven Strange, amongst others."

"That's insane, those people have families, if the public knows, so do criminals, their families could be in danger." The Captain was outraged that the government would give in to such high, and quite frankly, low blow demands from the public.

"It IS America, Mr.Rogers. They're just taking advantage of the privilege you fought for, freedom, whether it be speech, religion, what have you." Fury replied in a defeated tone, "Stark thinks it's a good idea."

"Yeah, after nearly getting him and Pepper killed by a terrorist." Natasha replied.

Steve grew furious, "So because the world knows who he is, he thinks it's ok to put these innocent others in danger too?!"

"I didn't say Stark was right." Fury replied.

Natasha sighed, "Those people knew what they signed up for."

Steve was in disbelief, "Natasha?" His mouth stay open as he was shocked by her attitude.

"Steve," Natasha crossed her arms, "They have the same mind set you did when you decided to put your life on the line, 'protect innocent people'. Isn't that the whole reason you wanted to fight in the war?"

"I fought in the war because I don't like bullies, and right now, the government seems like a pretty big bully."

"Stark is right Steve," Natasha began to argue, "if these people can protect themselves as well as citizens, surely they can protect their families."

Steve was quick to reply, "They already are. By keeping what they do a secret."

"Stark is ok." Natasha said lightly.

"Stark has a suit made of metal, and all the money in the world to protect himself. What've these people got?"

"Their will to fight."

Steve turned his back on Natasha, "I can't believe what I'm hearing."

Fury interrupted, "Rogers is right."

"Natasha think about Barton. Think about his kids. Would you want them in constant danger?" Steve asked, trying to reach her.

"Clint can defend himself." She quickly replied.

Steve replied just as fast, "THAT'S not your decision to make."

Fury spoke up, "I'm going to talk to Stark, see if he'll change his mind, I'm gonna let it you two settle this." With that, he hung up.

"Steve..." Natasha spoke but The Captain just clenched the phone, cracking the screen. Natasha looked down to the ground and grabbed Steve's jacket, "Ok..." She lightly set his jacket on the chair and walked out the door.

Just before she shut the door, Steve spoke quietly, "Nat... When the time comes, and it will, it's me or him."

"He's right Steve..." Natasha replied just as quiet before shutting the door.

Steve teared up as he squeezed the phone tighter and threw it on the floor. He sat down on his chair and whispered to himself, "Don't do this to me. Not you Nat."

[Author's Note: Should I End It Here, Or Keep Going ALL The Way Up To The Events Of Civil War? Replies Are Greatly Appreciated!]