Prologue

There is a reason magic was never available to the human race, that it was only ever a thing of fantasy. Magic is something to dream of, something that overrides all order that nature instilled in our world. But as with all dreams, mankind sought it out.

For a while, we were satisfied with the magic of film, of fairy tales, fantastical romances. One man in particular came the closest to magic that humans were ever supposed to come.

Walt Disney found a way to capture hearts with his tales, weaving spells with loveable characters and heroic quests. He even invited the world into his man-made magic with the creation of Disneyland. And his magic continued long after his death, growing stronger with each new generation of dreamers and believers.

Until that magic became too strong. Too real.

It was just another experiment in storytelling, but it changed the world. The details were never released, and the only witnesses are now dead, but in the midst of creating a new animated feature film, Disney discovered it's control over actual, nature-bending magic.

Pursuing the misguided ideal that Walt would want the magic shared around the world, Disney began marketing genuine magic. Anyone and everyone who had the will now had the way. The easy way.

Somehow, it came as a surprise that the hands who created such characters as the wicked Maleficent, cold Evil Queen, ruthless Scar, and so many other twisted, iconic villains were now responsible for the very real villains who rose around the world.

The greedy used magic to take from everyone around them. The ambitious used magic to topple entire countries. And the purely bloodthirsty used magic for savage acts against humanity.

There was a reason magic was never available to the human race.

It took the fall of humanity for that to sink in.