Chapter Three

The rest of the pirates set off to patrol Adventureland, except for one other who followed behind Abraxas as he led Teddy around the treehouse. There, the path opened up before a lake – or was it a river? An island lurked beyond, shrouded in dark fog. Off to the right, a tight cluster of buildings sprang out of the backside of the jungle. They were different than those of the street he'd woken up at; there was a more fun, jumble of style about them with all the iron balconies, elegant scrollwork, and various lamps – hanging from trees or from the walls. Unfurling from the ground just below this little square was Abraxas' destination.

A plaque on the archway labeled it as the entrance to the Pirates of the Caribbean. Here, the first mate came to a halt and turned once more to Teddy.

"Adventureland is open to any of the refugees who come to Disneyland, and everyone is offered a choice. Once in the park," he explained, sharp eyes locked with Teddy's from beneath his blond hair, "there is no going back. Everyone here has been drawn to a ride for their shelter, companionship, and sustenance. Once you pick a ride, you will join the community of people who live there, taking on your share of whatever duties are expected of the residents. You will follow the leadership of your new home as well as that of Captain Redwing and Grimm, who share the management of Adventureland between them."

Abraxas looked away then, turning to face the rest of what he'd called Disneyland. A slight breeze stirred his long hair to a gentle ripple down his back, shifting his bangs to cover his eyes.

"Of course," he continued, his voice soft as ever, "you are not obligated to this land. You are welcome to leave and explore the other lands – Tomorrowland, Fantasyland... There are rides there as well."

As Teddy regarded him, the first mate's jaw clenched.

"But no matter where you are drawn to, you won't escape the magic. It resides in the very soul of Disneyland, seeping into the bones of ride and man alike. It will change you, tweak you to better suit the ride you've chosen. You see proof of what I mean simply by looking at me."

Turning his head to look at Teddy over his shoulder, he offered a mirthless smile.

"I used to be a college student, majoring in global affairs. I had no desire to ever carry a gun, let alone become one of the best shots around. I was perfectly happy sitting in the back of the class and keeping to myself, yet here I stand, in command of a force of pirates with a reputation to give Landers throughout Disneyland pause. I feel no guilt about taking what I want, I don't think twice about firing my pistols. The only thing I've managed to keep with me – fighting for this most important thing - is my loyalty."

Abraxas turned to meet Teddy's rather stunned expression fully, heels clicking, hair slipping over his set shoulders.

"The magic has even taken my name," he said, and there was a firm rod of anger in his voice. "I know I was not always called Abraxas, but I cannot remember being called by any other name.

"I tell you all this to prepare you for the inevitable. You may not lose your name – there are those who have been here longer than I who can still remember their real names – but you will undoubtedly lose something else. Some piece of your identity will fall away, to be replaced by something the magic has deemed 'better.'"

Teddy sucked in a breath, and Abraxas lifted an eyebrow.

"I think the magic is already taken my entire identity," Teddy said quietly. His voice was rough, as if he hadn't spoken in a while. Not that he could remember why that was. "I have no idea who I am, except for my name."

The first mate didn't appear surprised at all, perhaps being so used to the effects of the magic that nothing could surprise him.

"Then you will be a blank slate for the magic," he replied calmly. "And perhaps that will make you an invaluable addition to whatever ride you choose."

Teddy took a breath, wondering how on earth he was supposed to make that choice. He considered leaving Adventureland to see what these other lands were like, but the thought of running into the Lost Boys again dissuaded him. Besides, he felt a pull to this land, a feeling he couldn't explain.

The magic, perhaps?

"What rides are here?" he asked, and Abraxas began listing them.

"Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion are the most popular choices – hence the leaders of both rides sharing control over Adventureland – but there is also Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, the Temple of the Forbidden Eye..."

The first mate's voice faded out of Teddy's hearing after he mentioned the Haunted Mansion and gestured over his shoulder at the great white estate tucked behind the buildings. Past the huge trees and a small park with a fountain, Teddy could spy tall columns, glowing pale in the light of windows lining each floor. He knew then where he was supposed to go.

Abraxas had noticed Teddy's fixation, and nodded.

"I had a feeling you'd be called to the Spooks."

Teddy frowned.

"The what?"

"The Spooks," Abraxas repeated. "The residents of the Haunted Mansion. The residents of every ride have a special way they address themselves. Pirates and Spaniards here, Spooks and Ghouls there, Lost Boys and Dolls and Toons..."

Teddy blinked, beginning to absorb the fact that all these people had really developed a way of life in this park, adapting to the magic and finding ways to survive – and hopefully enjoy – life in Disneyland.

"Well, I welcome you once more to Adventureland," the first mate said. "Blunderbuss will escort you to the gates of the Haunted Mansion."

The other pirate stood up from where he'd been leaning against the wall. Abraxas took off one white glove and held his hand out to Teddy.

"Good luck," he said. "I'm sure we'll meet again."

After Teddy shook his hand, Abraxas spun on his heel and strode off into the shadows of the Pirates of the Caribbean, the click of his boots echoing through the night.