Chapter Six

The dining room was huge, with two massive fireplaces and a table so long it took a full minute to walk to the far end, where Cass claimed the seat right next to Hayato. Teddy's roommate studiously ignored them both, his nose nearly touching the pages of the book he was reading.

"Good morning Hayato," Cass said cheerfully. "As charitable as ever with your roommate, I see."

Teddy's roommate set the book on the table and pinched the bridge of his nose between his fingers.

"He's lucky to have me, sweet Cassidy," he replied. "Most of the other Spooks prank their new roommates." Picking his book back up, Hayato mumbled something about letting him be and he'd set them free.

"Maroon 5 – 'Misery,'" Cass promptly replied. "The point of a roommate is that nobody walks the mansion alone. You know that."

Hayato stared straight over the top of his book, looking for all the world like he was debating the merits of hitting someone with it.

A minute later, a door at the end of the room swung open to admit a series of trolleys with covered trays. A couple of people went around setting the trays on the table.

"Nick's on kitchen duty," Cass commented, smiling at one of the men – a towering guy with long red hair pulled back into a ponytail, bandanna covering what looked like tattooed eyebrows. "Breakfast will be a treat."

Nick caught her smile and glowered at her.

"Not a fan of his temper though," Cass commented, pulling the lid off the dish in front of her to reveal steaming eggs. She offered some to Teddy and Hayato.

"Wren, could you pass the toast?" Cass asked a woman across from them. This woman had incredibly white hair that almost looked blue. Teddy could just see the top of a tattoo at the base of her throat as she passed over a platter of toast. A minute later, the empty seat beside Wren was filled by Nick, who gave her a quick kiss on her cheek before tucking in to his meal.

"Oh Hayato," Nick said a second later, "the library got trashed by the ghosts last night. Janus put you on it."

"Are you kidding me?"

Hayato dropped his shoulders and attempted to boil his glass of orange juice with the power of his stare. Nick just shrugged, his hair slipping over one shoulder. Wren pointed her fork at Cass.

"We have work to do too," she said.

Cass winced.

"Janus gave me our new Spook," she replied, nodding at Teddy. "It'll have to wait till the evening."

Wren switched her gaze onto Teddy.

"You're the one who came in last night? The one the Lost Boys were after?"

Teddy froze mid-bite and nodded. Cass shot him a concerned glance.

"I didn't know you ran into the Lost Boys," she said, frowning.

"How did you know?" he asked Wren, honestly wondering how nobody seemed surprised at his arrival. Janus had known he was waiting at the gate the night before, and that he was intending to join the mansion. He'd already had a room assigned to Teddy and a mentor.

"It's her job to know, dumbass," Hayato muttered. Cass smacked his arm.

"Watch it Yata, or I'll suggest Janus put you on kitchen duty after you finish cleaning the library."

Nick smirked at his plate while Teddy's roommate glowered at Cass.

"Letting people down is my thing, baby," he shot back.