Chapter Five

The room that Teddy would be sharing with Hayato was fairly large, with ample room for two full canopy beds, two dressers, a wardrobe, a couple of chairs, and a chaise lounge arranged around a fireplace. Teddy's roommate was laying on the chaise lounge with his feet kicked over the back, reading a book.
Teddy walked over to one of the beds and sat on top of the dark crimson quilt.

"No."

Without looking away from his book, Hayato pointed at Teddy and made a shooing gesture.

"That's my bed. You're in the other one."

Teddy raised his eyebrows but complied, walking the few feet over to the other bed, this one quilted in gold.

"I'm Teddy," he offered.

Hayato gave no sign that he'd heard, just turning the page in his book. Beginning to feel awkward, Teddy got up and wandered over to a small door across from the one he had entered through. Tugging on the hair at the back of his neck, he opened the door a crack and peeked into the new room.

"Please tell me you have a mortal fear of bathrooms," Hayato commented from behind. "That would make my life so much more entertaining."

Teddy squinted into the dark room and made out the shape of a toilet and bathtub. He relaxed.

"I was more afraid of something snatching me the second I left the room," he replied, turning to take a look at the small bookcase beside the fireplace.

"That's definitely something to be afraid of," his roommate mumbled under his breath.

"Really?"

Hayato dropped his book an inch to stare at Teddy for a minute.

"Oh yeah," he said in a heavily dramatic voice. "Something snatched Gabby the Gobbler just the other night for walking into her bathroom."

The look Hayato leveled at Teddy said that he'd expected Teddy to be thick, but somehow he'd turned out dumber than that.

"You're drowning in your imperfection," he deadpanned, turning back to his book.

"What?" Teddy grumbled, beginning to feel annoyed.

"It's a song, Skillet - never mind," Hayato huffed.

It was Teddy's turn to stare at his roommate for a minute, and then he pulled a random book from the shelf, flipping through the pages. He paused on a gruesome diagram of some fictitious animal's anatomy, squinting to read the caption. Disturbed, he returned the book and padded over to the wardrobe.

All the furniture was dark wood, carved with extreme detail. For a second, Teddy thought he saw a face etched into the whorls of the wardrobe door, and upon leaning closer, discovered that the carvings depicted snarling beasts and grinning gargoyles. Teddy checked the nearest nightstand, the posts of the bed, and one of the dressers - all covered in dark artistry.

There was an explosive sigh from across the room.

"Honestly?" Hayato exclaimed, tossing his book onto the floor by his seat. "You're worse than the shadow of death in an ICU. Where did they find you, crawling out of the graveyard?" Grumbling about lurkers, he started going around the room, dousing the lamps.

Teddy tugged on his hair, completely at a loss when it came to his roommate, but he took the hint and returned to his bed. As he pulled back the covers, Hayato cleared his throat.

"Any clothes you need are in your dresser. Right size and everything." He pointed to let Teddy know which dresser he was talking about. "Don't go digging through my crap."