Chapter Five

Runningpaw padded through the forest, wondering if he should have left Sunpaw there. His poor brother- he felt bad he was so neglected.

He didn't want his brother to be alone. He remembered when they were kits, Sunpaw would always disappear. Did he sneak out of camp? He remembered when Sunpaw was asked multiple times of he was Firekit and Rosekit's littermate.

    Runningpaw blinked. Fire powers? Was that even possible? His claws kneaded the ground. His brother seemed so sure... Too sure for it to be a dream... Was he blessed by Starclan, maybe? Maybe he truly did have powers.

He paused, then turned around to find Sunpaw. He needed to apologize.

Runningpaw froze. The air was suddenly warm. He looked up. Smoke was rising into the air.

Before he knew it, the trees around him were ablaze.

    "Sunpaw!" He screeched. "Sunpaw! The forest is on fire! Run! Run before the fire reaches you-" he broke off. He widened his eyes.

    Sunpaw said he had fire powers.

    Did he just set the forest on fire?

    Why?

    He tried to push back his uneasiness. Sunpaw wouldn't try to do something like that. But if it happened on its own, would he be immune to fire?

    Runningpaw didn't hesitate. He ran back towards Sunpaw.

    <><><>

    A burning branch fell down beside Sunpaw. He cried out and leaped out of the way. HE JUST SET A FOREST ON FIRE!

    Runningpaw. He needed to help Runningpaw.

    He sprinted to the edge of the clearing, but he froze. Every edge of the clearing was on fire.

    Sunpaw had an idea, but it wasn't pleasant. He swallowed his fear and ran through the flames.

    He blinked open his eyes. He was alive! Fire didn't hurt him!

    "RUNNINGPAW!" Sunpaw screamed. "COME TOWARDS MY VOICE IF YOU'RE OUT THERE!"

"Sunpaw?" Runningpaw's terrified voice yelled back. "Where are you?"

"Change of plans!" Sunpaw cried. "Stay there! I'll come towards you! Just keep yelling!"

He ran though the flames towards his brother's voice. At one point Runningpaw screeched very loudly, but he didn't seem hurt. Sunpaw forced himself to relax and continued to run.

Finally he arrived in a a smaller clearing. Runningpaw was standing in the middle, with fire surrounding him. Sunpaw swallowed.

"I'll walk through the fire towards you," he called. "Don't panic. It only makes the fire worse."

Runningpaw let out a whimper but didn't say anything more.

Sunpaw sidled through the flames, his fur feeling odd at the touch but not harming hm. Runningpaw's eyes widened but he said nothing.

Sunpaw pressed himself against Runningpaw. "I can try to stop it- just, stay calm."

He stepped forward and narrowed his eyes at the fire. His breathing became heavy and he raised a paw. He spread his claws out.

The fire let out an uncertain flicker.

Sunpaw stepped closer to the fire and twitched his paw. Is it working?

The fire opened up a few inches, but stopped there.

"Try to fit through," Sunpaw yelled back to Runningpaw.

"Are you insane?" Runningpaw screamed back. "I'll burn!'

"You'd burn anyway if you sit there!" Sunpaw snapped.

Runningpaw gulped and ran up to the fire. He took a deep breath, then pushed through the flames. Sunpaw let them fall back together again and ran after his brother.

Runningpaw's sides with singed black, but otherwise okay. He gave Sunpaw an uneasy smile, and the two brothers took off towards camp.