Chapter Nineteen

Sunpaw curled up in the grass nest of the apprentice's den, alongside Runningpaw, Foxpaw, and Whitepaw, his friends. Four nights before, Nettlestar had spoken to him in private and explained the story of his dead brother, Pinescar, and apologized repeatedly. Sunpaw had accepted his apology (although it was a little strange speaking to the leader like that) and had also accepted his role as an apprentice.

    Nettlestar had also explained to the clan, clarifying that Sunpaw does, indeed, exist, and had fire powers. The clan had oohed and aahed, and for several hours he had been encouraged to do little tricks and whatnot.

    He had enjoyed it all, but when he and Runningpaw had time they would go on walks in the woods, just to be away from it all. Sometimes they would visit Fiery and Snowy, who were now living in the barn together. Fiery still had minor breathing problems, but was otherwise doing quite well.

    Sunpaw began dreaming that he was walking through the woods, when he came upon a clearing. There were scratch marks in the ground, and one tree was black.

    He remembered the sparks that flew from his claws. It was long ago, but it felt like it was just yesterday.

    Blinking, he looked up and noticed the cat across from him. He had brownish-red fur with dark stripes, and noticeable stars in his pelt.

    "Hello, Sunpaw," he said kindly.

    "Hello, Pinescar."

    Sunpaw sat down. Never in his life had he been visited by a Starclan cat. And now, right across from him, was Pinescar himself.

    "Sunpaw," Pinescsr said brightly. "You've completed the prophecy."

     The orange apprentice stared, totally lost. "The... The prophecy?" In all his trouble, he had completely forgotten.

     "Yes, the prophecy! Only the one of heat and flames can take the evil and make it tame."

    "But... But the evil..."

    Pinescar sighed. "Yes, the evil. Unfortunately, I only recently found out that the evil was Nettlestar himself. I'm a bit disappointed in him, I must say."

    Sunpaw could not respond to that. "Um... Nettlestar? I kind of... I kind of thought it was Fiery?"

    "Fiery? Oh yes, I thought it was him, too. Then- boom, suddenly Nettlestar's acting like a lunatic over my death."

    Sunpaw blinked. "But... Don't Starclan cats make the prophecies?"

    "Oh no, my dear friend. We only deliver them. Whoever does make them... Well, that's just a mystery, isn't it?" He winked. "But it was Nettlestar, apparently. Well, not Nettlestar exactly... Just his hatred."

    Sunpaw didn't entirely understand everything he said, so he just nodded.

    Pinescar smiled. "It was the hatred. When his hatred went away... He was a good guy again."

    That... Kind of makes sense. Sunpaw lifted his head and smiled back. Then he paused, "Well... What about my fire powers?"

"What about them?"

"I mean... If the prophecy's completed... Do I lose my fire powers?"

Pinescar laughed softly. "Sunpaw, Starclan can control a lot... But not you. They are you're powers, and if you want to keep using them, go right ahead."

Sunpaw relaxed. "Thank you, Pinescar."

    Pinescar then stood up. "Well, congratulations on your prophecy, Sunpaw! You did help Nettlestar a lot. Now, if you don't mind... It's time a paid my dear brother a visit."

     And with that, he vanished into the trees.

<><><>

"S-Sunpaw! Sunpaw!"

The orange apprentice was about to leave to begin his warrior assessment. If I pass, I'll be a warrior in a few days! He turned.

Little Rosepaw nervously trotted up to him, her green eyes staring at the ground. Her brother, Firepaw, was standing on the other side of camp, watching intently.

"Um... Um... H-Hi, Sunpaw, I..." She took a deep breath. "I just wanted to say you're really good at hunting and fighting and I really hope you pass you're warrior assessment and I think you're really nice so good luck!" She then whirled around and sprinted back to her brother exclaiming, "Firepaw! Firepaw, I did it!"

Sunpaw smiled. As he turned to leave, he heard Rosepaw shout, "Bye Sunpaw! I love you! BYE! I MEANT BYE!"

Laughing, and with a deep affection for Rosepaw, Sunpaw left to complete his warrior assessment.