Chapter Nine

Sunpaw slid easily out of the barn. He scanned the area around him before standing in a large empty area.

He decided to try out a few new tricks.

He sat back on his haunches and raised his front paws. He began to circle them around each other, a small trickle of flame appearing between his pads. Finally it grew to a humongous fireball. His eyes widened when he realized he didn't know where to throw it.

As the flame grew bigger, so did his anxiousness. He started to whimper a little and stopped spinning his paws, just allowed himself to hold it.

"Over here."

He nearly dropped the fireball. He whipped around, holding the fire in one paw, his fur standing on end, and faced the ginger tom.

He was close to what, fifteen moons? His fur was ginger and his eyes were sparkly green and mischievous. He was standing next to a piece of a trunk. It was like somebody sliced a thin piece of a log. It was turned sideways, and Sunpaw could see the rings.

The tom smiled and Sunpaw started spluttering random words.

"Just toss it at the middle ring," he said softly. "It will also help your aim."

Sunpaw kind of had no choice now. He raised his paw and flung the fireball. It hit close to the middle.

The tom nodded approvingly. "I'm Fiery. What's your name?"

"I'm- I'm Sunpaw-" He stammered. "How did- You- I- My powers- I didn't-"

"It's okay," the tom said gently. "Having powers isn't bad. I think it's pretty fascinating. I knew someone with powers, actually..."

"Who?" Sunpaw asked eagerly.

The tom didn't seem to hear. "But they're gone now. Why is your name Sunpaw? Are you part of the clans?"

"Well... I used to," Sunpaw explained. "I left."

Fiery- if that was his name- sat up straighter. "Well, if you're going to have a name, it'll have to be something without two parts."

Sunpaw hesitated. He didn't want to be called Sun, Sunny, or definitely not Sunshine. "I like my name."

Fiery smiled and shrugged. "Fine with me. Now, I saw you doing that running thing over... Can you do that again?"

Sunpaw nodded. "Sure!"