4.

It was cold.

I try to cuddle up warmer in my jacket, but I couldn’t stop myself from shivering. The bus jerked more than usual, and harder, too. Every pothole it went over felt like it was making my head explode. I sat in the back, shivering. C-cold-d...

I cover the jacket around me tighter. I shouldn’t have crept outside on the roof, last night. Then I wouldn’t have got this stupid cold.

But that’s where I go every time I feel sad and lonely. It’s always quiet and peaceful. I can see the millions of stars above me. And I feel closer to God then. I can talk to Him in peace. Yesterday, I’d told Him...

A small figure up upon the thatched roof. The night was cold. A breeze blew from the west. She was cuddled up in her sheet. A small, worn, pink rabbit soft-toy was clutched in her hands. A small whisper- ‘He isn’t really evil, is he? Please, don’t punish Daddy. I'm sure he didn’t mean to be evil. He...’

A sob. ‘He’s not really evil. He can’t be...’ A pause. ‘But... but mummy’s always right. But- she can’t be right about this... can she? Daddy’s not a murderer; he’s not a thief... is he?’

She hugs the dirty old rabbit tighter. ‘God, if... if Daddy’s really evil like Mummy said... can you forgive him...? Please...?’

I put my feet up on the seat, and hug them. I look out of the window. A slight drizzle had started. I see my reflection on the closed pane. There’s a tear. I wipe it off, and take a deep breath. I'm going to school, now. I should forget about it. A new day, a new place. I should forget it.

*

The bus halts outside the school gates. I get off, and run through the rain into the building. The grounds are abandoned this morning, but the corridors are bustling with people. Teachers strutting busily to the staff room. Kids in clicks outside corridors and at the doorway of almost every class. I'm tossed in every direction by a sea of students. Finally I make it to my class. A click of big girls were standing by the door, all of them talking at once. I duck under them and slip into class. For some reason, I feel guilty.

I reach my desk and sit down. I set my bag on the ground, and begin to put the books in the desk.

“Hey” a voice calls.

I jump and turn. In the darkness, leaning against the wall, was- him. I blush and look away. ‘Ignore him,’ I think, ‘I must ignore him’

“Hey, what’s up with you?” he says, pulling out the chair next to me and sitting down. I look the other way. I am shivering.

“Hey, c’mon, talk to me...” I don’t look. He grabs my shoulder and moves me, so I'm looking straight at him. I grow redder, yet I don’t move.

“Are you mad at me?” he asks.

I wrench my shoulder out of his grip. “I'm not supposed to talk to you”