Sammy raises his hand and knocks on the door.

I want to stop him; I want to tell him to get away, before...

It’s too late.

The door opens. Mother stands in the doorway. She stares at me, confused. “What are you..." she starts. Then she stares at Sammy. Eyes widen. Then narrow. She looks back at me. She’s realized. Her eyes pierce me. They burn into my skull. But Sammy interrupts:

“She got sick in school, ma’m, she-”

“I didn’t ask you” She snaps back. There’s no question. She knows he’s Sammy. I start shivering. A cold sweat breaks on my forehead.

But then her expressions change. Her eyes soften. It shocked me. But I smile.

“What happened, dear?” she asks.

I can’t help smiling. She cares. She actually does. “Tell me...” she prompts me on.

I step forward. “I feel better now, Mommy” She puts a hand on my forehead. “You don’t have fever...” Hands on my neck, “My, you’re really cold, dear” She pulls me forward. I don’t know how but I end up hugging her. Why are there tears in my eyes?

“You’re fine now, darling,” she says, patting my back.

Then suddenly the coughing starts again. Blood sprays. I draw back. The world goes dizzy, out of focus. When it comes back, I see wooden beams. The ceiling. Faces, peering close at me.

“See, it’s blood that she coughs up ma’m” I hear Sammy’s voice.

“I told you to shut up!” Mother spits back. Then she turns to me.

“How did this happen?” Her voice sounds so different. She sounded worried.

“Don’t worry, Mummy” I tell her, “They told the doctor to come in a bit... he’ll make things ok, won’t he?”

“I can make things ok,” Mummy says, and she carries me indoors, and puts me on the couch. I can see Sammy standing awkwardly on the doorway, like he didn’t know what to do. “Ma’m, should I help?”

“There’s no need to make her any worse,” she tells him.

Mommy leaves me, and walks to the door. She goes outside, and slams the door shut, so I don’t hear what goes on outside. But I do.

“You did this to her, didn’t you?”

A yelp.

“Tell me, boy. You did this!”

A whimper.

“Don’t lie! I know you did!”

A soft cry- no.

“You did, you beast! I know you did”

A scream. A thud. And then....

The sounds of the heavens pouring down. Deafeningly loud.