Ch. 6 - Mantra Mayhem

The girls had a half hearted pillow fight and sat sprawled across beds barely touching the giant bowl of gummy bears and popcorn from Jessie's secret stash.

Maddie had seen enough moping and called them to the floor in a circle. Pillows down, butts planted. She lit a candle in the middle and started eyeing them one by one. There were nine girls left after the three drop outs. Maddie knew she had to get them in the spirit, the show was in three days and had to be perfect, like her.

"Ok girls. For the first time ever, I'm interested in anything you have to say. I am going around the circle and each of you can say whatever you want. Limit it to something I can at least pretend to be interested in please. I donated last years wardrobe already and one can only handle so much charity! Claudia. You start then say who you want to go next."

Claudia beamed like a school kid with a star on her head. Empty headed, but cute.
"I think we should all wear a blue heart on our cheeks for the performance for Ree Ree, Jessica, and Holly. Kayla you go next."

Maddie had to interject "Claudia, that would be brilliant if they had cancer or went bald. Something tragic like that. But let's not support those who wander off, are too dumb to handle a limbo stick and fake injuries to get out of practice. What kind of message does that send to all our fans who look up to us for more than beauty and skill!"

Kayla nodded and cleared her throat. "Good point Maddie. I think we should start drinking Gatorade at practice instead of water."

Maddie felt her temple throb. "Kayla, ugh. How many empty calories would you like to consume in a day? God! You girls are such dumb goats. Your sweater already makes me think of how lucky we are Lycra exists. Pick a person."

"Emily"

"I'd like to dedicate the performance to the lacrosse team. The guys are adorable and I think for the formal dance on our last night we should all team up with a guy!"

Maddie smiled. "That's the spirit Emily. I think it's brilliant. Next?"

"Jen can go next."

"Hi, my name is Je-

"This isn't Alcoholics Anonymous Jen, just say what you want. We don't need to know what step your on."

"Sorry Maddie. I think someone is killing the girls on the squad. I think Jessie and Ree Ree and Holly are dead and we need to be careful or we could be next."

Maddie face palmed. Her face getting a pained and constipated look.

"Jen, maybe you do need to lay off the sauce. This isn't CSI or a pirate ship! You girls are ridiculous. Let's forget this, I'll have wrinkles if I have to listen to any more. I already feel my brain throbbing. Let's take a plunge in sisterhood and walk around the deck in our pajamas before bed."

The girls giggled and lined up squealing with the excitement of a new nighttime adventure.

The air on the deck was cool and without the people and lights it had the feel of a ghost ship. Maddie and Claudia led the way around whispering one minute and snorting with laughter the next.

Each girl had a hand on the girl in front of them for guidance through the darkness. Like an ultimate blind challenge. Maddie leading the pack and Jen ending it for guidance. The single guiding light was Maddie's phone and it shone only brightly enough for them to see a few steps in front.

Jen let out a half grunt and pulled so hard on Chelsea's nightgown that all the girls fell into a dogpile on the deck. As they laughed themselves silly working at untangling and standing up, Maddie snapped a few pics for the memory book.

When everyone else was finally standing, Jen remained face up on the deck. Her teeth reflective and shining in the dim moonlight. As Maddie began barking orders for her to get up, the girls, not wanting the moment of joy wrecked by Maddie's wrath, started rolling and pulling her to help out.

They mistakenly flipped her over and Maddie's camera flash cast a perfect light of the ax sitting in her back. Claudia and Emily started screaming and Maddie quickly shut them up with a slap to the side of the head.

"This is no time for hysterics. Someone just fell on an ax for Vuton's sake!!! The last thing we need is a bunch of people running down here."

Claudia held her hands up to her mouth in disbelief. Mumbling words in alto pitch.

"We killed her. All the weight of us piled on her, we pushed her deeper on the axe. Why would someone leave an axe laying here? What should we do."

Maddie grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her.

"People leave axes down all the time. There could be a hot fireman on board Claude. Think about it."

Deniese looked at the moons reflection in the eyes of her cheer mate. She stepped toward her and slipped on the blood seeping in the floorboards. She kept herself from falling completely and quickly checked her favorite Chuck Taylor's to make sure they weren't ruined.

"This ship is as over as Michael Kors spring collection. We should wave the white flag. Our performance is toast."

Maddie gave her a death glare usually reserved for those wearing white past Labor Day. She put her hands on her hips and shook her head furiously. 

"Listen here girls. We worked hard for this. We earned it. And we deserve to be on that stage Friday. It's our biggest audience yet. But we can't have Jen's untimely accident stealing the spotlight or giving us a bad reputation. Reputation is everything. Let's roll her off."

The girls stood staring with their mouths open. Maddie scowled in spite of its known wrinkle causing abilities.

"I know...its not fun, and blood is impossible to wash out but Jen would want us to go on. She was a team player and would understand this completely. Furthermore, anyone who doesn't want to help can march in there and explain how we 'accidentally' fell on a girl who 'accidentally' fell on an axe. Anyone want to take the blame for that?"

The bobble headed nods began and together they shoved Jen under the railing and out into the foamy spray below.

*******************************************
Something seems fishy (besides Jen's current wardrobe). Any ideas on what's taking out the Glitz Gurlz?

Feel free to voice your comments and touch that star. And rememberMeanness causes wrinkles and loneliness.