Prologue

So I didn't really like the prologue I had before so I thought I'd change it. I think this one is a lot better. I was inspired by the story Gone. I hope you guys like it so far.
btw if you're reading this, thank you:))

~•~

Prologue

January of 2000

I sat the edge of the bed, early morning sun peeked through the curtains of my sorry excuse of an apartment. I ran my fingers through my hair and let out a heavy sigh.

"What time is it?"

I was taken aback at the sound of the girls voice. I had taken her home last night. It didn't take long to convince her to follow me home. She willingly accepted and the next thing I know our tongues were tangled together and our bodies were shamelessly intertwined.

I checked the clock beside my bed. "7:36." I spoke.

She had managed to pull herself out of bed and now rested her head on my back, running her fingers up my spine. She wore one of my shirts, which hung just above her knees. "Why are you up so early?" She asked.

I still hadn't managed to catch her name. Though, we talked on and off in the middle of the night, neither of us bothered to exchange names. However, I was sure she had recognized my familiar face.

"I could ask you the same thing."

I got up out off my bed and walked into my small kitchen. I immediately headed for the fridge, grabbing a beer. I twisted off the top and took in a big swig.

"Seriously?" She began, "It's not even eight in the morning and you're already drinking?"

I shrugged. "So?"

She hated that I drank so much. She had made it clear by announcing it over and over again throughout the night of our small talk.

"Why do you drink so much."

I sighed, setting the bottle on the counter. I leaned back against the fridge and chuckled to myself. "You ask a lot of questions."

I could tell the girl was a very independent woman who stood up for what she believed is right. She was very confident in herself.

She raised an eyebrow, waiting for me to correctly answer the question.

"It helps." I simply stated.

"Why are you so unhappy?"

I took another swig of the beer and focused my attention on the girl."High school fucking sucked. No one could ever take me seriously. I had no chance with most girls. Every one thought I was a joke, even some of my teachers. Everyone knew me as the weird kid that thinks he has jokes. I mean, I was a huge clown but it would've been fucking awesome if people actually liked me for me. Once I got to college with a new haircut, style, and personality, everything changes. Girls want me, guys want to be my friend, and I'm actually respected. And one person, one single person, gets me to go back to the way I was. The goofy idiot I was in high school. And it was good. I needed to be myself. College was changing me into someone I didn't want to be and she brought me back to who I was. And in a flash, she was gone and now I'm faking my smile as I walk into work every day."

"Why are you telling me this?" She asked, wrapping the blanket around her shoulders.

"You asked, didn't you?" I raided an eyebrow.

She looked at the ground, clearly embarrassed. "Who is this person?"

"My ex."

She shifted uncomfortably in the bed. "Tell me about her, what's her name?"

"Chloe." I grimaced a bit as her name escapade my lips. I spoke slowly, "Chloe, was different than any girl I had ever talked to."

"Different how?"

"She didn't put up with anyone's shit, especially mine." I laughed at the thought. "She always carried around this camera. If the girl had a choice she'd bring it everywhere she went. She loved taking pictures. That was her thing. I could only guess that's what she's doing right now."

"And you loved her?"

I ran my hand through my hair. "More than I have loved any girl. I was putty in her hands the day we first met. I fell hard. I'd lie awake at night thinking about her and for the longest time I couldn't have her. You know how bad that sucked? I had to sit and be her friend when I desperately wanted to be something more. One thing led to another and then she was mine. I had her." I paused, trying not to remember that day. "And I let her slip through my fingers."

"Where is she now?"

I clenched my jaw, fighting against the lump in my throat.

"She left."

•••
This prologue is in the future. The rest of the story will be the past leading up to this day. I hope you guys will like this.
-jasmine