Chapter 4: My Second Mate

Got bored and haven't written recently so here it is!

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

If this had been a joke, my expression at that moment would probably have been priceless. I was so dumbfounded I hadn't realized Violet was asking me what was wrong.

"Mac? Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

I didn't know how to answer her.

"What the...?" I started.

Lynxes must be pretty calm creatures, or maybe it's just Landon, because his face was only about 1/8 as shocked as mine. Then again maybe he hadn't found his mate yet, so it wouldn't be as surprising even though I was a wolf.

"Who are you?" I asked Landon, taking a step back. I felt more cautious of him, pretty much the complete opposite of how I felt about Aaden. Surely that meant Aaden was my true mate, right? Not this lynx shifter...

"Mac, I told you he's a friend," Violet tried to reassure me.

"No, you don't get it," I told Violet. "Stay away from us," I said, this time talking to Landon. "Stay away from me."

Now I know what you may be thinking. You're his mate, you should be nice to him, not harsh. This is my second mate, however the heck that works, and he's not a wolf, so no, I'm not gonna be nice to him.

On that note, I ran away from the two of them back to the pack house. I wasn't so sure about being against the whole shifter separation thing.

However, that thought instantly vanished when I thought about Violet, a helpless fox shifter trapped in a wolf pack territory, whom I'd left alone with my second mate.

"Hey Mac." Aaden said as I walked through the door.

"Hey, it's a new record for Mac's shortest time in the woods!" Jayden exclaimed. I tried to give him a look, but he must've seen the worry and maybe a bit of fear in my eyes.

"Something up?" he asked.

"Huh?" I asked, a bit distracted. "Oh, nothing."

   "Mac, I was thinking..." Aaden started.

   "I'm pretty tired Aaden, I'm gonna head to sleep, I'll see you tomorrow."

   Aaden frowned, obviously pretty disappointed. I hoped he hadn't noticed I'd pretty much been neglecting him (Hey, I had a good reason), but being my mate and all I suspected he did.

   Before anyone could say anything I left the room, headed straight to my room, or at least, I was pretty sure it was the direction of my room. Stupid giant pack mansions.

   I hadn't been lying though. I almost instantly fell asleep, even though it was only about 9:30.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

   "Come on Mac wake up. How tired were you?"

   Slowly, I started to wake up.

   "Finally," Chipper said. "You're a pretty deep sleeper."

   "What time is it?" I said groggily, stretching my legs.

   "It's like 12:00 sleepy head."

Crap.

   I shot up like a rocket, running into the kitchen and quickly stuffing cold leftover bacon into my mouth, and saving some for Violet. Then I grabbed four sausage patties and sat in the living room eating for a bit in the house like a normal person so I wouldn't seem suspicious. Nope. Not suspicious at all.