Chapter 5: The Rebellion

Aaden, Sam, and Jayden were gone more often with, well, alpha, beta, and third things. Chipper isn't a part of the meetings so she doesn't know what they're about. Jayden won't say anything, I'm new and therefore not a part of them, and Sam had no mate to know and tell us. I'd asked Aaden plenty of times and came up with no straight answer.

   I was constantly stressed out about basically everything that was happening in my life. Let me review the list again.

1. I was part of a pack that may or may not trust me, and if not than for good reason.
2. I was breaking shifter laws.
3. I made myself regularly check on Violet who at least was starting to get her strength back, but it was hard to keep the others from getting suspicious when I left.
4. And, oh yeah, I have two mates.

   Of course I can go into greater detail, like how interacting with one of my mates is breaking shifter laws, but that might take awhile.

   "Do you think their meetings are about the noises they heard awhile back in the west woods?" I asked Chipper after we finished our training. Aaden, Sam, and Jayden had, of course, been at another meeting. I was so worried they'd find Violet and Landon.

   "I told you Jayden won't tell me, but I guess it could be. I doubt they've actually found anything but they could be investigating it. I'm worried that it might've been rouges."

   I wasn't sure if that relived me or worried me. We still knew nothing about what it actually was but Chipper at least didn't think they'd found anything. Still the main thing that had me constantly on edge I knew wouldn't go away until I took action. Things couldn't stay this way. Once Violet was better they'd leave to stay out of trouble from my pack. That'd be fine if it weren't for Landon. Why did the Moon Goddess have to make things complicated for me?

   "Chip... Can I ask you something?" I said quietly.

   "Yeah, of course, what's wrong?" Chipper replied with questioning eyes.

   "Have you ever seen any other shifters? Like, besides wolves?" I asked in almost a whisper.

   Chipper's eyes widened. She grabbed me by the arm to stop me, then opened a random door and pulled me in. Quickly, she checked that the room was vacant, and it was.

   "Why would you ask something like that? Interacting with other types of shifters is-"

   "Against shifter laws, I know. But I didn't say interact now did I?" I interrupted.

   Chipper bit her lip and whispered, "Yes, I've seen other types of shifters. Have you?"

   I found it fair she knew the truth and nodded my head.

   "If we both agree not to tell a soul about what we say, will you tell me what you think about that law?" I asked, curious.

   Chip nodded.

   "I think it's bullshit. We're all shifters, we should stick together. It's like saying normal wolves can't interact with other animals."

   I nodded, agreeing completely.

   "There's something else that's happened to me recently I wanted to ask you about. Have you ever heard of someone with... two mates? Or, even better, a mate of another species of shifter?"

   It was a lot to tell her, but I trusted Chipper. It's not like she had any evidence or knew if I was even talking about myself.

   "Never," Chip admitted, eyes wide in surprise.

   "Recently though, I've been thinking of... Well, leaving the pack. I've heard of a, well not a pack, but a group of shifters called the Rebellion who have some similar opinions to our own. If you found any friends out in the woods you might tell them."