Chapter 14

Are you okay Daisy? Michael I am fine. I am just slow at night. My dog Pappy knows because some nights I walk like a snail. Yeah I don't know you very well. But I have a feeling I will get to know you a lot more over the years. Yeah you will. Him saying that he would probably going to get to know me a lot more over the years confused me. Did he plan on actually being in my life for many years? Being a friend to me that I could call when I needed him and when he needed me he could call at any time of night. I really hoped that he was thinking that we could become friends like I wanted to be since I first met him in elementary school. So Michael are you coming to work tomorrow? I might be a bit late Daisy. Victoria is getting her check up so I probably will run a few minutes late. Michael had matched my pace. But surprising me Ben and Zoey were still behind us. I looked behind me to look at my best friend laughing with Ben. Aren't Ben and Zoey so cute together Michael? Why do you say that? I don't know they just seem perfect together. I can't see Ben going with a girl that is going to have a kid though Daisy. He likes his freedom. He likes to party. Do you know what she is going to do Daisy? No I don't. I have not talked to her about it yet. I probably will in the next few weeks though. But I think she wants to be a mother to her child. It was just a tough day her finding out she is going to be a mom and then her boyfriend broke up with her. That is not the worst part of today for her though on top of all of that she finds out he cheated on her. Yeah. What are you thinking Michael? I am not thinking anything. I looked to Michael. Even if I only been talking to him for maybe a few days at the most. I already knew what some of his looks meant. I know that face when you are thinking really hard at work. Okay I am just thinking if she does not want the baby I will adopt the kid. Where did that come from? I was shocked Michael just said that. He was already dealing with his young daughter alone. I would of not thought that he would want to deal with a newborn on top of raising his own daughter that was little bit over a year old by himself. I like watching them grow up. Can't believe that I might of not had the opportunity to be a father at all. What do you mean Michael? I was a very curious person and I really wanted to know what Michael meant that he almost never had the opportunity to be a father. My wife found out she had cancer when she was three months along with Victoria. My wife almost died a few times because she couldn't get treatment. I thought at one point I was going to loose everything I loved in my life. A life I built for my self and for my wife. A life I hoped my child would share with me. I saw the hurt on Michael's face knowing it probably hurt him a lot remembering that time in his life. As it was only not even two years ago all of that happened. Everything that changed his life forever happened not very long ago. Oh Michael. Right then Victoria came running to us saying daddy. Hey sweet girl I am home for the night. I saw it in Michael's eyes that little girl was the only thing that was left of his broken life that he loved unconditionally. His bond with his daughter was so touching. I saw Victoria point at me and shrug her shoulders. She never knew who I was. That was why she was doing that. She only saw me once or twice in her young life and she had no idea if she could trust me or not yet. Michael smiled and picked her up. Victoria this is Daisy you probably going to see a lot more of her around. She is my friend. You can trust her Victoria because I trust her. I smiled at Victoria. Hi Victoria I know we are going to get to know each other much better through out the years. Young kids always made me want to spoil them. Victoria I already had a feeling I was going to buy her clothes and buy her toys and just spoil her rotten. But that was no crime at all when you were in a child's life and you cared about them. I watched as Victoria struggled to get down from Michael's arms and when he put her on the ground she ran right to Ben. As I already figured that Ben probably bothered with her a lot as he was Michael's best friend. Benny up. It was so sweet seeing Victoria wanting to be in Ben's arms. Sweetie pie I love yeah. But I had a hard day. Right then Victoria started screaming. Michael started to laugh. Ben do it Victoria does not like it when she does not get her way. Michael would Vicky want you to spoil her rotten and do everything she wanted you to do? Never bring my darling Vicky in this matter Ben never ever! Michael go lucky attitude changed that minute. This was a side of him I knew I would have to be careful about when I worked with him. This was a side I never ever seen before in him. Right then Zoey picked up Victrola and she stopped crying. Ben you big Meany she just wanted some loving. Victoria looks a lot like you Michael. Weren't you a few hours ago saying you never wanted any one to talk to you especially me? Yeah I did. I saw Michael shake his head. Well Daisy I should get going. I have to get Victoria ready for bed. Yeah I should get going too I got a lot to do tonight. Like what? I knew what I just said was kind of a lie. But oh well. Zoey and I are going to Starbucks and I still have to write a bit of my book that I am writing. We going to Starbucks? Yeah Zoey remember. I hoped my friend got my cue or else I was doomed. Oh yeah now I remember. Yeah we should head there then. So we can talk. Yeah we got to. Especially before they close. As I turned to walk away Michael spoke. Thanks Daisy for everything today. I think I might give you a raise. You are a pretty good worker. Okay thanks I guess. Well I better get going. Yep okay. See you tomorrow. Yeah okay. As Zoey and I walked away I kept thinking I just started my job why would he already give me a raise. But I had a bigger question in my mind right that second. Was he really going to go into work tomorrow or not?