Part 4

- Madison’s point of view -

"Do you ever miss it?" I spoke, my voice barely auditable but enough for him to hear me.

"Sometimes," He said.

"Life isn’t fair."

He let out a small laugh "Tell me about it."

Looking over at the clock, I realized that it was already 7:12 and that I had to get going if I didn’t want to be late.

"Listen," I started "I have to get going but I’ll call you later okay?" Austin let out a fainted okay before we said our goodbyes and hung the phone up.

That was Austin’s usual good morning phone call. He had made a point to do it every day because somehow, he knew I liked it. It was a great way to actually wake up and I sure wasn’t complaining.

Picking all of my books up and stuffing them into my back pack, I made my way out of my house and started walking towards school or should I call it: hell.

It wasn’t all that far away so walking wasn’t that much of a deal, I liked it.

Once I reached the all too familiar building, it didn’t take long before I saw them.

"Hey there’s my girl!" Cameron chirped pulling me into a tight hug "I missed you."

"I missed you too." I said giving him a quick squeeze.

Letting go of him, I scanned the rows of lockers trying to find my own until I finally did, doing my combination in a matter of seconds. I bent down looking for the books I needed for first period when suddenly, I heard an unfamiliar voice.

While curiosity got the best of me, I stood back up just letting my eyes fall onto who I supposed carried that voice.

Is he new here? I’ve never seen him before, I thought.

Cameron and Jackie were both looking in the same direction as me with confused looks on their faces as well which just led me to assume that they were probably wondering the same thing.

"Since when does he go to our school?" I questioned, my eyes never leaving him.

"I don’t know." Cameron shrugged "He’s probably new."

Brushing it off, I turned back to my locker trying to find my books once more and about a minute later, I heard the bell go off.

* * *

I was coming back from the bathroom making my way to the cafeteria as to now it was lunch time. I was so hungry that my stomach started to burn making me feel a horrible pain at the pit of it. I tried ignoring it while continuing to walk but for some reason, I stopped. I stopped because I saw him again. Alone.

Taking in a breath, I nervously made my way over to him while his eyes met mine for the first time today.

"Hey," I said flashing him a smile "Are you new here?"

He smiled "Yeah, I just transferred."

"From where?"

"La Vernia High."

I furrowed "Why did you transfer here in San Antonio? It’s boring."

"Ehh, problems." He shrugged. "I like it better here anyways." I nodded not wanting to get further into his business because if there was one thing I hated was for people to ask me about my life, I absolutely hated it.

"Listen," I started "Do you want to each lunch with us? I mean my friends and I?"

"Sure, I got no one else so--" And with that we both started walking. The last thing I wanted to do was to leave him alone because if I were to be the new kid, having no one to eat lunch with would be the absolute worst.

"So what’s your name?"

"Robert," He smiled "What’s yours?"

"Madison."

Both of us stayed quiet right until we reached the cafeteria where everyone was already seated. I scanned the area trying to find my friends before I finally did, taking a seat as Robert did the exact same just sitting next to me.

Everyone ate their food while sharing conversations here and there. I, on the other hand, spoke to Robert and actually, he was really funny. I felt good to talk to someone else. A change.

"Madie," I heard my name being called.

"Yeah? I turned my head to Sarah who I guessed was the one that called me.

"Do you want to hang out tonight? We can all go back to my place and do the usual."

I thought about it for a second, did I want to?

No.

Was I feeling it?

No.

"I have plans already."

Cameron tilted his head to the side, his facial expression changing almost immediately "You do? With who?"

"My mom."

Lie.

"Can’t you do it another day?" Sarah begged "You know it’s not the same without you."

"I don’t know, Sarah..." My voice trailed off.

"Come on, it’ll be fun! I promise."

I twisted my lips to the side contemplating on what to do I mean, it wasn’t a bad idea "Okay, I’ll think about it."

And the rest of lunch dragged on at a snail’s pace while I prayed for the day to be over with already, I absolutely hated school. I didn’t hate the concept of it but I hated the people in general. I hated the fact that I had to see faces I despised every single day not to mention listen to their annoying voices, it drove me nuts.

I was the kind of person who always needed a change because doing the same thing over and over and over again didn’t phase me at all. It would make me feel as if I was trapped in some sort of routine and that I couldn’t get out.

I simply didn’t like it.

Taking my headphones out, I rolled my eyes annoyed with the fact that I had to undo them; they were completely tangled together. Once that was done with, I plugged them into my ears and put my phone on shuffle not really caring what played, as long as music was heard then everything was fine.

The noise that surrounded me started to slowly fade away and before I knew it, my mind was completely and one hundred percent focused onto the song that was playing.

I loved it.