Chapter 11 - Betrayal

"His name is Kevin" Laurent said in a cold unforgiving voice, referring to Alice's husband slash kidnapper.

"After their marriage, they not spend much time together, 'cause Alice choose us over him" Larry continued cockily.

Immediately Vivian could deduct a motive from this. It was simple. Kevin became jealous of the fact that Alice preferred her career with the twins more than him. So he decided to forcefully take her back and keep her, while also taking the brothers' fortune.

But at the same time, other events began clicking together, and she could see Larry and Laurent making sense of it all too. The kidnapper wasn't very powerful at all. He was close to Alice which is why he knew all the information such as her moms address (which he had used as bait to lure Alice to England) and about the twins' savings account.

This was a huge relief.

But the kidnapper was still dangerous. Placing his own wife Alice and possibly Alice's mother under house arrest was a very psychopathic thing to do. People like him don't know where to draw the line to their irrational behaviour.

Suddenly another window from the top floor clicked open, and a women leaned out with sad eyes, savouring the soft cool breeze.

"Alice" breathed Laurent, looking up in disbelief. His heart fluttered and relief flooded his body. He looked at Larry to share a look of happiness. Before they could get her attention, Alice shut the window again and walked back inside.

"Alright here's the plan" Vivian stated authoritatively. "I go in and stand guard at the door of the main room to keep an eye on Reg and Kevin, and I'll take them down if they decide to come out. You two go straight in, get Alice, and run to the car as fast as you can. Then you call the police. I'll catch up with you later."

They nodded in unison but Vivian could see their faces creasing in worry.

...

After spending a few minutes picking the lock with her bobby pin, they were inside the dank house. The smell of rotting wood and other earthy smells filled their nostrils. The door closed gently and the moonlight from outside was shut away. The darkness was thick, and a cold sweat came over them. A rickety flight of stairs ran to the second floor, and the upstairs area glowed softly with yellow lights. They could hear murmuring above them, with the occasional laugh. They assumed this to be Reg and Kevin engaged with their conversation.

They walked up the stairs as the floorboards creaked loudly. But the sound was drowned when the entire house creaked and snapped as the wind picked up speed. There was a storm brewing.

Like a trio of lithe agile cats, they climbed up the stairwell to find themselves in a living room. A lavish embroidered sofa was in the middle of the room picking up dust. A cold fireplace sat adjacent it, filled with ash and burnt pieces of wood and paper.

Vivian whipped her face toward the sound of Kevin laughing heartily behind a closed door. She gestured to the twins to find Alice, and she crept closer to the door. The twins scampered away into the darker side of the house.

Vivian carefully took out her pistol as she approached the door, which was slightly ajar. Holding her breath, she aligned her eye with the small gap, attempting to see what was inside. Sure enough, Reg was sitting down comfortably in his designer clothes, his booming laughter echoing around the room. Kevin was perched against the window, counting a stack of money in his long nimble fingers.