Chapter 1

1958, March

Paul POV

'This can't be happening' I thought as I picked up my books from the floor. I was walking casually when someone HAD to bump me from behind. I honestly think they did it on purpose seeing that it was behind. Ever since I could remember I was always being bullied for my girlish looks. I couldn't help it. I just have always looked fabulous, just other people didn't see that.

    Still picking up everything that fell out of my hands, a voice spoke up out of nowhere and I half expected it to be harsh. "Hey you need help down there?" the voice spoke.

    I looked up from my things and what I saw was a boy, around my age, looking down at me with playfulness in his eyes. He had auburn hair and had thick rimmed glasses on. The boy smiled down at me waiting for my answer. "No, I think I'll be alright." I say going back to my work.

    "Well, I got you your pencil, so if you still want that you can take it. Or I can take it off your hands." The boy laughed twirling it in his fingers.

    "Hey! Give it back would yah! I need that pencil!" I said reaching up and grabbing for it.

The boy laughed and just held his hand out to me. "Never," he laughed, "this is a cool pencil. I think I'll take it off yah' hands then."

I grabbed his hand, scowling the whole time. The boy just laughed and helped me off the dingy ground. "So how old are yah' anyway?" He asked looking me over.

"I'm only 15 years of age. How about you? You an old man or somethin'?" I laughed trying to make the conversation less awkward.

"If you count 16 years an old man then, yes I am a very old man." The boy smiled at me.

I laughed at his joke while I thought of this boy. Why wasn't he making fun of me like everybody else? Obviously he liked me for some reason, and I don't know why.

"Hey you alright there lad? You're staring off into space." The boy said looking at me strangely.

"Yeah, I'm alright just a little tired that's all. It's very hard getting up early for school for me yah' know."

"Really? So you can put on your makeup and everything eh?" He grabbed onto me laughing.

I couldn't help but laugh along with the lad because his laugh was just that contagious. Nobody made me laugh like that in ages. This boy really was something.

When we calmed down a little he asked, "So, can you play?"

"Play what? Music?" I asked confused.

"Yes of course music! What else would I be talking about?"

"Well yah. I play the guitar. I'm alright I guess." I said feeling stupid for not knowing what he meant.

"Me too! You know I have a band, you should come see us sometime. And maybe I'll even let yah' join." He said winking at me.

The bell rang signaling everybody that they have to go to class. The boy said good-bye to me and started walking off.

"Wait!" I yelled after him. He turned around smiling. "Yes?" He said.

I ran over to him. "You never gave me your name." I said out of breath.

The boy laughed. "The names John. John Lennon. What's yours?"

"Paul. Paul McCartney. And you never gave me my pencil back." I said folding my arms.

John only laughed. "I think I'm going to keep it. Gives me something of yours. So I'll never forget you."

I blushed and he only smiled at me. "Bye Macca." John said winking and off he went.

Macca? What kind of nickname is that? Whatever it meant I was going to see this band of John's, and if it's not good, I'll try and join to make it better.