Coasting-Chapter 4

Coasting

Chapter 4

Butterflies flutter in my stomach. What is even going on right now. Is this gorgeous specimen of a guy flirting with me? I literally haven’t been flirted with since the incident. I don’t even know how to react. Luckily I don’t have to because Coach comes back apologizing about his weak bladder and starts to lead Eli away, before I can realize I'm staring at his perfect complexion, he turns around and winks at me, turning me into a messy syrupy pool of attraction.

“What the hell was that?!” Nate hops out of the pool, dripping, and grabs his towel.

“What are you talking about?” I ask nervously. He rolls his eyes.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know string bean. You just undressed the new kid with your eyes and practically fell at his feet.” I blush and shove him a little.

“You’re an idiot. He was just asking me why I'm here. He has a right to wonder, right?” I can feel my cheeks get pink even more.

“Yeah. Okay. Then why the hell are you blushing right now?” he smirks at me, knowing he's won. I bury my face in my hands and groan. “I know you want that guy. You can't lie to me Tess. I know you way to well for that.”

“Shut up. He's just hot okay?” I admit. He laughs at me and throws his wet towel for me to catch it.

“Am I allowed to invite him to Mario's with us after practice? Or will that totally throw you off your game.” I hit his pecks and he pretends to be hurt.

“You’re supposed to tell me about last night.”

“He can hear it too. Unless you’re to scared.”

“Nate.”

“Tessy. Aren't you the one that always told me that ill never get anywhere without taking chances?”

“Yes..” I mumble.

“Then take the damn chance!” he gives me puppy dog eyes. “I promise I'll be good. I’m just trying to help you be happy String Bean.” he looks at me longer. Until I heave a sigh and tell him fine. This shall be interesting.

*****

I had a boyfriend all through ninth grade. His name was Liam. He and I got together because Nessa locked us in a closet at one of her parties. Liam and I were a lot alike. We both rolled with the same crowd so before we started dating we were friends. Liam did a lot for me. He bought me flowers constantly, brought me on dates, bought me lunch. Really Liam and I were the it couple of my freshmen class. One day he was walking me to my locker after school when he suddenly stopped right in front of the boys bathroom.

“Tess, we need to talk.” my heart beat sped up. “I don't think we should be together any more.” He blurt out and then ducked into the bathroom. I was left standing there, by myself, crying. He and I had dated for all of the ten months of freshmen year. I didn't understand what I did wrong.

Later that day when I asked Nessa she told me he was probably only using me for my dads money. And since a new girl had arrived and was richer than all of us put together he was probably planning on going after her. I was devastated. Was Liam really using me our whole relationship? When I talked to Nate about what Nessa said he laughed.

“Yeah right.” he said. I looked at him confused. “Any guy that spends that much time with you is bound to love you. Even if it started as him being in it for the money, he had to like you by the end.”

“Then why did he break up with me?”

“Cause hes a dumb idiot and doesn’t realize how amazing you really are. You’re better off without him anyways.”