Mending-Chapter 10

Mending

Chapter 10

“Do I?” my heart is beating against my chest harder than the waves pound the shore on a stormy night. I can practically hear his smirk.

“Yeah. It doesn't really make much sense though.” in the dark, I can see the outline of his face, chiseled jaw, faint smirk, shining eyes, all facing towards the stars.

“Why's that?” under the cover of darkness I have a certain confidence that I don't have in the light.

“Because.” he sighs. “We barely even know each other.”

“I guess.”

“But for some reason there's just this crazy attraction I feel for you.” my already labored breathing hitches. “and it's like,” he continues, “I want to always be around you. And when I'm not with you I’m thinking about you.”

“Yeah?” I can barely hear my own voice.

“Oh yeah.” he confirms.

We both stay quiet for a minute, contemplating what could happen here tonight. The outcome of the situation. I think about how amazing it would be to be in a relationship with Eli. Not only is he an amazing guy, but he's also really hot, he has cute siblings, and would make Nessa and Morgan extremely jealous. But on the flip side, so much good has the potential to turn into so much bad. So much hurt. I don't know if I can handle anymore damage. Is Nate right? Am I falling too fast?

My thoughts are interrupted when the window swings open. “Eli?” Mrs. Blake pokes her head out and squints her eyes in the darkness, there's little age wrinkles around her eyes and instead of making her look old, they only manage to make her look loving and caring.

“What's up mom?” he sits up on his elbows and looks back at her. I can tell he's trying to regain composure after what just happened. I am too.

“Do you want extra sheets for the couch?” it's such an innocent question but my face flames. I completely forgot about the whole bed situation. I got so wrapped up in Eli.

“Uh-I-um-sh-sure.” Eli stutters. It's a relief to see he's as distraught as I am. It makes him seem more human rather than the perfect prince in my imagination.

“Okay.” she shivers in the cold, “I'll just put them on the foot of your bed. You guys should come inside to bed soon. It's getting late and it's chilly out.” her motherly instinct once again leaves me aghast. I always thought moms only said that in books or movies.

“We were just headed inside now. Right Tess?” he stands up and then lends a hand out to me. I can only nod.

*****

I wake up with Eli's arm sprawled across my waist. His gray t-shirt is stretched and hugs his stomach muscles and arms in all the right places. My heart jumps. He looks so innocent and cute while sleeping.

After we got ready for bed, Eli said he'd sleep on the couch in his room. But it didn't last long because soon enough he fell on the floor.

“Dumbass.” I snickered from the warm comforter and he chuckled. “Just get up here before you break a leg or something.” I finally said. So much to my heart's fluttering dismay, Eli had one side of his bed while I had the other.

I'm almost positive that Eli is as afraid of what we are as I am because he hasn't said anything about the things said last night. We laid in the dark and talked about the most random stuff. Favorite colors, guilty pleasure foods, everything. But nothing was said about what do to about the feelings we have for each other. We're left undefined, confused, and completely and totally terrified.