Moving-Chapter 7

Moving

Chapter 7

Three days later and moms home when I get home from watching Nate and Eli practice. Mom is never home this early unless something is wrong. We've barely talked since our blow out last week but I don't think shes really mad at me anymore, or at least I hope she isn't.

She sits at the kitchen counter reading something on her ipad, wearing a shiny silver blouse and a black pencil skirt. It's sad how my mother has a better fashion sense than I do. When I walk into the kitchen she looks up from her reading glasses and hits the hold button on her ipad.

“So I was thinking..” she closes the cover to the device and pulls a glass of wine into her hands, fingering the bottom rim. “What are you doing tomorrow after school?” I glance at her nervously and search the gray industrial fridge for carrot sticks.

“I don't know yet. It's a Friday, I'll probably be out with Nate and the boys. Why?”

“Maybe you and I could take a little trip?” she plays with a pencil sitting on the counter and watches my reaction. I'm confused.

“Where?”

“I was thinking we could pay your dad a little visit?” she says. The world stops. Everything around me falls away and its like I'm standing in my very own flashback. A world surrounding black metal bars and striped jumpsuits pops into my head. I can't do it.

“Sorry mom.” I say once I finally find my voice. “I think I have plans.” lie. Nate and I never make plans before unless we're desperate. Most of the time we just randomly hang out.

“Well Tess this is kind of very important. You can't make time?” no. Not after what he did.

“Sorry. Another time.” unlikely.

“Fine. Then let me rephrase my original thought. Tess, tomorrow you need to cancel your plans, we are going to visit your father.” she grabs her wine glass and drinks the last sip and then looks at me. “and that's final.” my hands are shaking.

“I'm not going. You can't make me. In fact, I'm leaving right now. And until you can understand that nothing is ever going to be the same, no matter how hard you try, I won't be back.” I grab my phone off the counter and slam the bag of carrots down next to the cast-iron stove. She stares at me completely baffled, anger shooting daggers through me, as I slip on my coat and boots and slam the front door.

Nate picks up on the first ring. He sounds all out of breath. “whats up string bean?”

“What are you doing?” I ask and try to sound not upset as I start down my long driveway, the sun is starting to sink.

“Eli, JP, Cars and I are just playing a little ping pong. Why?” now that he says that I can hear the faint bounce of the ping pong ball in the background.

“Like guy time?” I ask, desperately hoping he says no because I have no where to go without him.

“Kinda but it would definitely be more fun if you were here. Hang on.” his voice gets faint. “You guys care if Tess comes over?” silence. “Okay. Are you home? Ill be there in five.”

“Wait! I'm not home. I'm near the playground at the end of our street.” I glance at the old metal merry go round and blue baby swings that have old chains attached, spreading up onto a rusted metal bar above.

“what? Why? Okay never mind ill talk to you in like two minutes then.” then he hangs up and I wait. I'm going to have to go home at some point to get clothes. Tomorrow for school I can just use some I have stashed at Nate's but that supply will dry out fast. I'm thinking of when the best time to break into my own house would be when Nate pulls up. He opens the passenger door from across the console and once I'm in he looks at me all expectantly.