Chapter 12: Monsters

End of passion play, crumbling away
I'm your source of self-destruction
Veins that pump with fear, sucking darkest clear
Leading on your death's construction
Taste me you will see
More is all you need
You're dedicated to
How I'm killing you

They have made some questionable decision in the past thousand years―what vampire hasn't, but this had to be their most fun one yet. Of course Kol, being Kol, decided it was a good idea to make a competition out of it.

They had decided to head south towards California, wanting to see a bit more of the coast. They were currently standing at the border of the town since they didn't want to take their motorcycles, given it would only slow them down.

"Okay, Olly. Here are the rules: We have to go to the same places. We can't use compulsion at all. And of course the one that finishes the trip with the most kills, wins." Kayla said with a vicious grin.

Her brother's expression was no better, "Of course sister. On the count of three. One, two―" He ran off at vampire speed before he finished, Kayla following him closely cursing loudly at him.

Within ten minutes, they were already arriving in Portland. They came to a halt near the tree line.

"I think this is the perfect place to start, Olly."

"I agree, Lala. We should find a bar and so we can pick our first meal." Kol's eyes darkened in anticipation.

Without another word they set off to go find a bar...and a bite. They followed the strong smell of alcohol and the loud sound of what they had learned was considered 'dance music' in this generation. A few minutes later, they were in Holocene surrounded by drunk people, smirking darkly at each other. With a nod, they were off, two predators in a room full of prey.

On Kol's side, he had rapidly spotted his targets. A group of heavily intoxicated women, who could barely stand up, looked just drunk enough to do whatever he asked without the use of compulsion. He approached them, his face adorning his most charming smile he could muster.

"Hello, darlings" He greeted them, and with one look they all signed their death certificates.

"Um―H-Hi." The woman closest to him―Amelia―stammered, much to his amusement. He didn't understand why people would purposely get this drunk in public, but he wasn't complaining it only meant he had that much more chance to beat Kayla in their 'friendly' competition.

He met all their eyes, not using any compulsion, "How about we go outside to chat, ladies?" He asked them and a small part in their mind―the sober part―screamed at them that it was a crap idea to follow him, but unfortunately for them, that part was trumped by their drunk side, who was currently the reason why they were following the Original Vampire in the alley behind the club.

"W-What are we g-going to talk about?" The blond one―Beatrice―slurred.

Kol turned to them, his previous charming smile easily replaced by a cruel grin, one that, for one second, showed just how barbaric he was, how wicked his soul had become over the years. The three girls caught a glimpse of the devil within him and didn't even realize it. A mistake they would only made once.

Kol sped towards the girl who had introduced herself as Sophia and ripped into her neck viciously, not caring that the other girls could leave. But they didn't, their blurred minds keeping them still until the adrenaline finally kicked in. But before they could run away screaming bloody murder, Kol caught them by their necks and tossed them back further in the dark alley.

He smiled showing his bloody teeth, his eyes shining with a savage glow, "Now where do you think you're going?" He mocked with a fiendish chuckle.

They started begging like he was used to, 'Please, don't hurt me.', 'You don't have to do this.', 'I won't say anything.', 'Just let me go.' It was always the same.