Chapter 14: American Pastime

I heard all I needed
Cannot fight the signs
I could taste the blood there
I could taste the lies

I can see the sorrow
I can find the line
See the angel of death there
She's slowly coming to town
======≠========≠========≠===

"Your boyfriend is here. Again." Kol announced, annoyance written all over his face. That whole week Edward had been coming over at night taping on the window, wanting to come in, but every time Kol would 'politely' tell him to piss off.

Kayla sighted loudly, "What does he want, this time?"

"I do not know, nor do I care." Kol replied without missing a beat.

"I don't have time for this, Olly. People are dying from 'animal attacks' and we're not involved―for once―, which could only mean that there are other vampires here." She said.

Kol knew what this meant, "And the killings are bound to attract our brother's attention. On top of that, there are vampires on our territory." He said, anger seeping into his voice.

With a soft laugh Kayla finally went to open the window, "Hello Edward." She greeted, "Now might not be the best time for a surprise visit."

He came in swiftly, "Hi Bella, Rio." He nodded in the oldest twin's direction, "My family wanted you to attend our baseball game. They all wanted to see you after your last visit was cut short."

The twins knew they couldn't get out of this without raising suspicion from the coven. And Kayla didn't miss the spark in Kol's eyes at the mention of his favorite sport―he only enjoyed it because you got to hit things. "We would love to come." Kayla forced a smile.

"Great I'll wait outside for you and if it's not too much to ask, I'd like to officially meet your father." He added somewhat shyly.

The two Mikaelsons were slightly taken aback at that, they had almost forgotten the man they had compelled to be their father. "I'm sure that could be arranged." Kol said after a moment.

When the two arrived in the living room, the saw their 'father' cleaning his guns on the table, "Charlie, Bells, here, as a date with Edward Cullen." Kol said, his smirk widening as the old man's face twisted into a look of shock.

"He's too old for you." He blurted out, turning to look at his two 'children'.

The twin's couldn't help to laugh at that statement, "Quite the contrary there, Charlie." Kayla said after the laughter had died down.

Kol, not being known for his patience, walked in front of him, "I don't want to deal with this." He announced, "You will go meet Edward and do whatever it is that fathers do when meeting their daughter's boyfriend." He compelled the old chief who repeated what he had said.

They walked to the door and opened it to reveal Edward standing on the other side, completely clueless about what had just happened. "Chief Swan. I wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm Edward." He extended his hand in greeting.

Charlie took it and shook it a bit more roughly than needed, not that it bothered the Cold-One, "Hello." He grunted out.

"I won't keep Bella out late tonight. We're just going to go play baseball with my family." Edward explained briefly.

"Bella's going to play baseball?" The Chief asked in a mixture of amusement and doubtfulness.

Apparently he had caught on that Kayla wasn't exactly fond of sports, which was surprising given they had barely talked to the man."Yes sir, that's the plan." Edward said.

"Well. More power to you, I guess..." He said, knowing that Kayla wouldn't participate in the sport unless Kol challenged her.

"She'll be safe with me, sir, I promise." Edward looked him dead in the eyes, speaking in a slightly―scratch that, extremely creepy-overprotective-obsessive-intense way. He started to walk to the car and the twins were starting to follow him reluctantly, but Charlie held them back.