Chapter 2*

As soon as I rounded the corner of my street I could see that Father was home because of his rust bucket of a car sitting in a driveway. My speed slowed down as I got closer feeling the despair fill me. I knew that if I entered the house and he noticed that it would not be the best news in the world for me. I walked up the path feeling like my footsteps were the loudest things in the world. I gently turned the knob to open the door and stepped inside quickly.

" WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?",My father shouted at me as soon as I quietly shut the door or at least tried to. My heart started pounding and my body was already feeling the pain and ache that would come later.

As soon as heard his scream ring through the house, I glanced to the stairs that were a little down the from me trying to figure out if I could make it in time. I tried to bolt up the stairs and go up to my room to  lock all the troubles outside. I ran as fast as I could and felt like I might actually make it. I was on the third step when I felt his hand clasp around my ankle and yank me down to the bottom of the steps. I could feel the rug burn my skin as my shirt rode up. The burn had landed on a strip of already burned skin on my back from having to do this yesterday.

"YOU ANSWER ME WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?" With each word he screamed down at me he landed blows all over the least visible parts of my body, mostly landing on my stomach and my thighs.

Knowing that struggling or fighting back would make him beat me harder, I just laid there half on the stairs and half off taking it. Every punch knocked what little air I had in me and shocked my body with pain. Soon my whole body had turned numb and I just felt like instead of fists hitting me they were as light as snow flakes. I looked at his face the entire time just like I always did whenever this happened, even though it had been years I always cecked to see if he even felt any remorse or regret.

It felt like hours went by before he finally stopped and headed into the living room. The whole I spent watching him the only thing I saw was him tiring herself out and seeing sweat form on his face. It hurt to know that he could physically harm me and not feel anything and that he was so into it that he wouldn’t even notice my screams or even look up into my eyes. From my spot on the stairs I could hear the T.V. being turned on, so I knew that I would be safe for the rest of the night at least.

Dragging my body into a sitting position on the first step felt like a train had rolled over my body and then I was stepped on like a piece of gum on the sidewalk. I used my arms to drag myself up the rest of the stairs finally reached the top of the stairs after having to crawl up them being yelled at whenever the smallest noise slipped out of my mouth. I rolled onto the landing and laid there for a moment , but fearing the he would come storming up here and start all over again, I stood up and hobbled my way into my room falling onto my mattress which was placed right next to the door for this reason.

I reached over and grabbed the book from the library out of my bag, but just as I went to go read the first word my body decided that it was all too much and I passed out.