Chp. 31: Returning

"Nothing,"

Spot shook his head, and started to walk away.

"Spot, where ya goin'?" Jack calls.

"She ain't comin' with us, don't waste ya time."

Race starts to follow Spot, and Jack just looks at Kenny. Inside, she wants to cry. She tells herself to be strong. She can't go back to Manhattan. Everything reminds her of Spot, or what she did to him. Jack reminds her of Spot. Hell, that's how she met him. If it weren't for Jack and the strike, she would have never met Spot.

"See ya, sis," Jack presses a kiss to her head, and walks away.

Spot was confused, angry, upset. Why wouldn't she come back? Was it that Calico guy? Was there something there he missed? She'd been there for a year, that's more than enough time to move on. Did she wonder if Spot moved on? Did she care? He hadn't, if it even mattered.

"Goin' so soon, Conlon?" Chucky calls with a grin.

"Stop by Brooklyn any time, the boys will love ta see ya," He replies, spit-shaking with his old friend.

Back in Brooklyn, someone was waiting for Spot. He walked back onto his dock, only to see Skiddy sitting on his crates. He clenched his fists, and walked faster.

"Where are ya mannas, Skid? Don't ya know not to sit on a king's throne?" Spot drawled, whipping out his slingshot.

"Gonna shoot me, are ya?"

"What brings ya here from ya trash can ya call Harlem?"

"Unfinished business, my friend," Skiddy jumps down, and walks toward Spot.

He throws a hard punch, catching Spot by surprise. Spot quickly recovers, throwing one at Skiddy. The two have fought before, each time with Spot being victorious.

"Let me give ya one from Kenny," Skiddy brings his arm back, only to be blocked by Spot.

Spot grips Skiddy's arm, and twists it, wrenching it behind Skiddy's back. Skiddy grunts, trapped.

"You dare bring her into this?" Spot snarls. He twists Skiddy's arm again, throwing him to the ground. "Not smart,"

Skiddy jumps up, and pulls out his dagger. In one swift move, he plunges it into Spot's abdomen. He pulls it back out, standing back up.

"Who's not smart now?" Skiddy says, then makes a run for it.

Spot hears Bucky call Wiz, but his vision is blurred as he blacks out.

<>

He wakes up hours later, finding himself in a hospital bed. Next to him is Bucky and Racetrack.

"W-What--"

"Don't hurt ya-self," Bucky says.

"What do ya remember?" Race asks.

"I was fighting with Skiddy, and he stabbed me, and I blacked out..."

"They fixed ya up real good, but ya can't leave yet,"

"Wait, how is we payin' fa this?" Spot asks.

"Jack sent for money from tha Vanderbilts, you're all good,"

"I's gonna kill Skiddy,"

"Take it easy for a while Spot," Bucky says, gently pushing him back down.

"Just go back ta sleep, ya baby," Race teases, and steps outside with Bucky.

"Someone should probably get Kenny," Bucky whispers.