Chp. 42: Over

Spot sat back against the hay, thinking of what to do. Everything she had said was true. But he needed to tell her what happened. Even if she didn't feel anything for him after that, he needed her to know that not everyone in her life abandoned her. Problem was, she was never really alone. Austin followed her like a pitiful puppy, or she was in the house with the other newsies.

The opportunity struck that night at sundown, she left the horses with Austin to bring back to the barn so that she could go sit under the tree and watch the sunset.

He walked to the tree, which was about fifty yards from the house. The backyard had a fence around it with a bonfire pit, but there was a gate that led to the rest of the field. He stopped in front of the tree, and watched her for a minute. She sat against the tree, head a little tilt as the sun slowly descended on the mountains.

"Don't just sit there watchin' me,"

Spot kept his composure, something he never failed to do.

"I jus wanted to talk,"

"Then talk," She said without looking at him.

"What you need to know is that I didn't really choose Olivia. Skiddy, of cours, threatened me. He said if I didn't make you see me with Olivia, I'd have a dead Sullivan on my hands. I never meant to hurt you, but you safe was more important to me, even if it meant you hating me."

She was silent for a minute.

"I heard you in the barn,"

"I know." She says.

"How did you--"

"I'm smarter than I look, Spot. No offense, but where Bucky is, you're near. But, I meant what I said. You broke my heart, and everything I had. You broke me."

"I know," Spot says. "I just wanted you to be safe."

"Thanks for tellin' me, Spot. I spent three months crying over you, then I decided one day that you wasn't worth it. I got over you that day, and I've never felt more free. I guess we just really ain't right for each other."

"Maybe not."

"Fate ain't on our side on this one," She says. "Maybe it's for the better. We coulda saved ourselves a lot of pain if we had figured this out a while back."

"Yeah,"

Spot listened to her, confused on why she was giving up so easily. He'd learned that if you really loved something, you'd fight for it. Bucky fought for his girl, but when it wasn't worth it anymore, he gave up. Spot thought Kenny was worth it, but she didn't seem to feel the same.

Kenny wondered why Spot didn't fight for another chance. Why he didn't beg for her, why he didn't still love her. It didn't matter anymore, anyways. She was certain she could love Austin one day. Maybe stay here. New York only created monstrous issues for her.

"Jack told me once you would hurt me," Kenny thought out loud. "I didn't want to believe him,"

"I knew it wouldn't be easy for us. Two kids, no money, on the streets. How could it be easy? I guess love beats the odds every time, then why didn't it?" She continued.

"Our love ain't real anymore, I guess." Spot says. "You said so yourself, you's moved on to Austin. I should too,"

"Spot, these past couple of years have been an amazin' adventure for us. But," She finally looked up at him. "All adventures have to end,"

Spot nodded. He took that as the final word. They were over. He remembered first meeting her. A sassy, fiery, and tough girl had challenged him to join what would be the biggest fight of his life. Maybe not the biggest. Maybe fighting for Kenny had been a year long fight. Longer, even. Fights can't last forever. You win, or you lose. Spot never lost a physical fight. But he lost this one.

Kenny peered around the tree to see Spot walking away. It really was over. She remembered meeting him. An arrogant, cocky, and strong boy who tested her patience and trust. But, he intrigued her. She had earned his trust and love, both of which he didn't grant to just anyone. He was a boy that was truly just as beautiful as the city he belonged to.

Spot got back to Bucky, and told him everything. Bucky knew Kenny was done. But how? How could something so strong as their feelings for each other fade so quickly?

Jack and Race watched Kenny walk back into the house. They had seen Spot go see her, but had no idea how it went. She didn't say a word to anyone, but just walked up to her room.

And they didn't see her leave the entire next day.

<><><>

Well
I cried a bit writing this