Chapter 1

"Outta my way!"

I pushed past the crowds of people around my locker. A few of them stumbled to get out of my way.

"W-We're so sorry, Veronica!"

I grabbed my books, stuffing them in my bag. I then heard a quiet voice.

"Pssh, you don't have to be so pushy."

I turned my head to the blonde girl who mumbled that. The others backed away from her as fear grew in her expression.

I approached her and glared at her. "You got something to say, missy?"

She quickly shook her head. "N-No, of course not!"

"Hmph, that's what I thought."

I slammed my locker shut and began walking down the hall. As I went, other students scrambled out of my way.

As I left the school, I saw my little brother being picked on...again. I groaned to myself and walked over.

"Hey!"

The bullies turned around, facing me. I glared up at the taller boys, the fear evident in their eyes.

"This is the last warning. Leave my brother alone or you'll have me to answer to. Got it?"

They quickly nodded. "Yes, Veronica."

After the boys ran away like cowards, Vincent walked to my side with a smile. "Thanks, sis."

As we started walking home, I sighed in annoyance. "Vincent, this is the third time this week that I've had to save your butt. Why can't you stand up for yourself for a change?"

"Well sorry, but not everyone is a thug like you."

"I am not a thug, nor am I a bully. I just know how to take care of myself. Most people at this school are all talk anyway."

"Yeah, but they can still be a bit...intimidating."

"Oh, toughen up you big wimp. Do you remember what happened to those three guys that thought they could push me around?"

"Umm..."

"I beat them up. Everyone learned that day that I was no joke."

"Oh yeah, that was awesome! Although you did get in big trouble. Even mom and dad were upset with you."

I shrugged. "Small price to pay for a fearsome reputation."

He laughed as we continued on our way until we made it home. Entering our house, we went straight up to our rooms. Since our parents work all day, we do what we want until they get home later.

After quickly doing my homework, I laid on my bed and grabbed my book. I flipped to the page I had read last night and continued from there.

I love reading books about fantasy. It's my favorite thing to do. I love any story that has mythical creatures involved. My current book was all about dragons.

I smiled to myself as I read. This was one of the only things that could bring a smile to my face. After a couple of hours, I heard a familiar car pulling up in the driveway.

I headed downstairs to see my mom entering the front door. "Hey, Veronica. How was school?"

"Fine. Want me to help with dinner?"

"If you would, that would be nice. Thank you."

I nodded and went to the kitchen while she put her things away. I helped my mom fix dinner and soon enough, my dad got home. Vincent had also come down to eat.

As we sat at the table and ate, my dad asked, "Anything eventful happen today?"

Vincent swallowed his food before speaking. "Veronica saved me from some bullies today."

My parents both looked at me with concern. My mom asked, "You didn't get into a fight again, did you?"

I shook my head. "No, they were too scared to fight me."

My dad sighed. "Well, that's...something."

My parents never approved of me being the toughest girl in school. But what can you do? There's no way I'm going to just stand by and be pushed around.

After dinner, my parents sat in the living room, watching TV. I listened as a news report came on.

"And the man calling himself The Masked Dragon has appeared again. A local murderer, his latest victim was a middle school boy who was killed outside of his own home. This should remind everyone to be very careful when leaving their homes until this masked killer is captured."

My mom looked at me. "Veronica, I want you and Vincent to be careful when you go to school. The Masked Dragon is out there."

I rolled my eyes. "I know, I know. It's not like he's going to attack a couple of people in the middle of the day."

My dad gave me a stern look. "We're serious. It's dangerous out there."

I nodded. "I know. We'll be fine."

I went back upstairs and took a shower before going to my room. Being warm weather, I opened my window to let some air in.

That's when I thought I saw something. I could see movement in the bushes, but I brushed it off as an animal.

I laid on my bed again and began reading my book. After a short while, I heard my door open.

I look to see my mom come in with a smile. "Time for bed, Veronica."

I sighed and closed my book. "Okay, goodnight."

She shut my door behind her and I turned my lamp off. I got into bed and closed my eyes. That's when I heard it.

A small yelp came from outside. My eyes snapped open and I sat up, looking at my window. Is there an injured dog outside?

I got out of bed and looked out my window. I couldn't see anything, but I heard another yelp.

I quietly left my room and went downstairs. I made my way outside, hearing another yelp followed by a whimper.

"Hello?"

I gulped and slowly entered the woods behind my house. If it is an injured dog, I can't just leave it out here. I have a bit of a soft spot for animals.

I slowly followed the quiet whimpers until they fell silent. I stopped, looking all around, trying to see my surroundings in the dark.

I quickly spun around upon hearing rustling. In front of me was a man wearing all black except for the green reptilian mask covering his face.

My eyes widened as I immediately recognized him. "The Masked Dragon."

I heard him chuckle. "How did you like my dog imitation? It's a fun way to lure out my prey."

I stayed quiet as he pulled out a gun and pointed it at me. This is it. I'm going to die here by the hands of this freak.

As soon as he pulled the trigger, a gunshot rang out, followed by a pain in my chest. I fell to the ground, feeling my life slipping away.