Chapter Four

Hally blinked her eyes several times, trying to adjust her eyes to the brightly lit workshop that she found herself in. She had been to the North Pole a handful of times before, having been invited by North himself over the decades. But she had not been to the North Pole in at least 200 years. Hally could see the giant Yeti's that were busy at work painting toys different colours or assembling electronic devices. They had only looked up for one second before going back to their own work. They did not seem bothered by the sudden appearance of the two teenagers in their workshop.

She felt Jack's grasp on her wrist loosen, allowing her to pull it from his nimble fingers. She rubbed her wrist, watching him as he looked around at the Yeti's unbothered expression, with a look of confusion and, what Hally guessed, a slight annoyance. She raised a delicate eyebrow at him as she watched him sighed and shook his head. Whatever had bothered him, he seemed to let it go for the time being.

"What is it?" She asked him as he turned to look at her once more. "Expecting something to happen?"

"Uh.." he began, clearly surprised that she had picked up on his annoyance with the Yeti's. "Sorry, usually when I burst in here, they get really riled up. Kinda miss those times"

Hally looked away from him, unsure of what to say. He wanted to annoy the Yeti's, he wanted to cause mischief. Usually, as the spirit of Halloween, she would be up for any sort of prank or teasing. But bothering the Yeti's in the North Pole was something that she had never tried to attempt. She had seen plenty of the Yeti's up close and judging by the size of their hands, Hally knew that teasing a Yeti was a one way ticket to suck punchtown. That was a train she did not want to get on.

"Guess they're just too used to you now" Hally said, a sly smirk playing on her lips. "With you being a guardian and all"

"You're starting to use that joke as a crutch" he quickly remarked to her, surprising her with the sharp edge to his tone. "Maybe you should get some new material"

Hally scoffed and gave him a dangerous smile. She had been surprised at how nervous he seemed to be around her. This issue with Pitch seemed to deeply affect him, more so than it seemed to affect her. She wondered if it was only due to how recently he had defeated Pitch or was it something more.

"We gotta find North" he said to her as he walked forward, expecting her to follow him through the workshop towards North's office.

Hally decided to follow him, not because she wanted to talk to North about her latest run in with Pitch, but more so because she wanted to have a look around North's workshop. It had changed so much since the last time that she had been there. The Yeti's and the little elves were still the same but the shelving was new, the globe had also a new look to it. There was a different sort of energy in the air that Hally found that she could not place.

As they walked through the workshop, several elves had come rushing towards them, their little legs causing them to bob around like little boats at sea. They had always loved to rush towards her, eager for the little gifts that she had always brought with her on her previous visits to the workshop. Although the elves were made to believe that their main role at the workshop was to create new toys, they mainly spent the majority of their time trying to cause trouble for the Yeti's and each other. Anytime that Hally had come to visit before, she had given them prank experiments that she had been working on over the years. One year, she had given them a prototype for a fart in a jar prank that she had been trying to perfect. That had probably been the reason as to why she had not been invited back to the North Pole in the last few years.

The elves grabbed at her pumpkin dress, trying to gain her attention as she and Jack moved through them on the way through the workshop. Jack found himself kicking several of the little excited elves out of his way as he walked, glaring down at them as they continued to jump back up again and once more rush towards them. Hally laughed at them, trying to cling to her skirts like small children as they gestured wildly at her, their faces full of delight.