Chapter Five

Chapter Five.

Hally found herself tumbling through the night sky. She took a deep breath and called out to the wind. She steadied herself and found herself floating lightly in the night sky. The moon's bright moonlight poured down on the forest below her. Jack laughed from somewhere below her causing her to look down at him. He was on the ground, standing amongst the dying grass of a field in the middle of the forest. She raised her eyebrows at him. What was he laughing at? Then it hit her. Her dress. Her short dress. He could see up her dress. She gasps and crossed her legs. She lost her focus and found herself falling out of the sky. The wind ripped through her hair as she fell. She tried to call out to the wind to stop her from falling but it was too late. She landed with an 'oof' into cold arms. His cold arms. She knew he had been the one to catch her falling when he laughed at her again. She rushed to pull her hair from her eyes and found herself looking up at him. He gave her a smile, flashing his bright white teeth.

"You know, your flying skills are terrible" he said as his feet touched the ground.

"I don't recall ever asking your option on my flying" She said as she jumped out of his arms and landed on the wet, dead leaves of the forest floor. "Besides it's not every day I'm thrown through portals. I was caught off track. I haven't been through one in years"

"How long is years?" He said her softly.

She looked into his ice-blue eyes for a moment. He seemed generally interested. She had never had someone other than her Halloween helpers look at her with keen interest. Well, of course, there had been North and Tooth when they had met, but she had never had someone who was her own age to talk to since she had become the Halloween spirit. It kind of unnerved her how strange she seemed to find it. It should be the most natural thing in the world. But his interest in her, her life. It brought back memories that she had wanted to suppress for years. Memories of her family, the friends she had when she was human. All the things that she had missed out on like growing up, falling in love, having kids. She shook her head. Why was she acting like this? Why was she suddenly thinking of these things? She had work to do.

"Hally?" Jack called her name softly in her ear.

He had gotten close again. Just like he had tried to several times since they met. She found herself blinking rapidly, trying to connect her mind with her mouth. She sighed and looked at him, giving him a small shrug.

"I dunno. I guess it's been a few decades. North knows I hate them and usually if I go visit him, I just fly there, though it does take a while depending on where I am staying at that time"

He nods, thoughtful. He tried to understand her. What she stood for and who she was. He had never really thought of Halloween. He never really thought too much about any holiday. He was not a holiday person. He was a winter spirit. He was Jack Frost. Halloween was never much on his calendar. She looked back up to the moon before looking back at him.

"I have to get back to my helpers. They're probably worried about me" she said.

"There's more of you? So, you haven't been alone all these years?" Jack asked her as she smiled.

"Of course, I haven't been alone all these years" she said. "When I became the Halloween spirit, I was alone. For the first few years I was, but over time, the man in the moon sent me a few helpers. Halloween is a full-time job. It's a lot of work, plus I guess he could see I was getting lonely Don't you have helpers?"

"No. I've always been alone... well... until I became a guardian. But I have the kids now. I'm not alone" He said, nodding at her.

"But you were alone before?" Hally asked him in surprise. "How long have you been Jack Frost?"