19

"Hey! Lark, right?"

I glanced up. Sarah was in front of my desk, her arms crossed over her chest. I didn't shut my book. "Yeah."

She smiled. "What are you up to this weekend?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Why?"

"Well... I was wondering if you would like to come over to my place. Gabby and Ally will be there too."

"Uh... I don't know. My mom doesn't like me to go over to people's houses she doesn't really know..."

Sarah leaned in close. "Come on, Gabby's bringing some booze. It'll be fun."

"I don't know, Sarah, I'll think about it."

Sarah bit her lip and messed with her manicured nails. "Maybe my brother could hang out with Jarsen."

The last bell rang and I started to gather my stuff.

"Think about it. You've got all week."

I nodded and got out of there.

...
"I had the most peculiar conversation today." I told you once you reached your car. "Sarah came up to me in Study hall and asked if I wanted to spend the night with her. Then, when she saw my reluctance she invited you to hang out with her brother."

"Hm." You turned up the heater. "That's is rather peculiar."

"I feel like you're making fun of me."

"For what?"

"Saying peculiar. Anyway, I told her I'd think about it. I don't really want to go."

You shrugged. "How often does one get such an opportunity? Even if you don't go, I might just to hang out with her brother. He's pretty cool, and nothing like her."

I bit my lip, thinking about telling you what really made me uneasy about the whole thing. But you were still right, I should go. Something like this doesn't get brought up often.

I'll go.

What's the worst that could happen?

...
Friday we didn't have school for whatever reason (at this point in the school year I won't question a day off, I'll just be thankful for it), so Thursday after school, you were supposed to drive me to Sarah's house.

She lives out of the main section of the city, about fifteen minutes away. Her house was huge and spacious. Upper middle class for sure.

She gave us the grand tour, letting showing me where to put my stuff. After that, you and I were introduced to Sarah's brother, Matt. He was much different than Sarah. Less of the popular athletic type and more of the classy-vintage-hipster type.

He smiled at me, shaking my hand. "It's very nice to meet you, Lark,"

I smiled. Sarah rolled her eyes. "Cut the shit, Matt."

He glared at her then turned to you. "Want to go for a walk? There's this cool trail leading down to the pond."

You shrugged. "See you around, Larkin," you took my hand and pulled me to your lips. You stopped the kiss and whispered in my ear, just loud enough for me to hear and no one else. "There's a guest house somewhere around here. I'll make sure that Matt shows me. Maybe later tonight we could take a visit."

I blushed. "Okay." I smiled and kissed you again.

"PDA." Gabby said, starting to pull me off.

"Come on, it's not like this is the last you're going to see him." Sarah said and led me to the basement.

Sarah took the sitting chair while Gabby and Ally took the loveseat. I sat down on the carpet. "So," Sarah began, twirling a piece of dark brown hair between her fingers. "How long have you guys been dating? You seemed pretty serious."

I nodded. "I think we've been dating a little over a month."

"You don't know the date?" Ally said, astonished.

"Shut up, A, not everyone tracks it down to the hour like you." Gabby said, rolling her eyes. She smiled, almost sinister, at me. "Have you fucked him yet?"

I swallowed hard under her harsh glare. I have, but do I want them to know that?

"Maybe I have."

Gabby continued to stare me down. "Have you?"

I stared right on back. "What do you think he whispered in my ear?"

Ally burst out laughing and Gabby was caught off guard. "You slut."

I shrugged. "You'd be surprised at what all I've done."

Stop it, Larkin. You can't bring any of your dad up. Rape is not sex. That's different. They don't need to know any of that.

"Can't we just get this thing started?" Gabby asked, bored with the conversation. "I've got the booze."

Ally checked the time on her phone. "It's not even five."

"Oh no!" Gabby put her hands on her cheeks. "How dare we think to start drinking early?! How foolish of me."

"What all did you bring?" Sarah asked.

"Rum, vodka, whiskey, beer, I think I got a few spirits."

"Boring. But it'll do." Sarah said, pleased that Gabby had brought something. "Let's eat dinner, then we'll drink."

"Where are your parents?" I asked, curious as hell. "They can't be okay with this all. I mean, I know mine wouldn't." Hell, my dad would probably join me.

"My dad's away on "business" and my mom's working the late shift at the hospital. So we won't see her until morning. Maybe. She might spend the night with her boy toy." Sarah raised an eyebrow. "Why? Are you scared we'll get caught?"

I smirked. "See, my mother's dead so I don't have to worry about her. And my father is quite the drunk himself, so he won't give a shit. It's you all I worry for."

Ally was gaping, Sarah looked oddly perplexed, and Gabby was wide eyed with amazement.

I've got them all right where I wanted.

Vote, Comment, Follow, Share!