Chapter Six: Sleep Tight My Hell

Sticking my key in the lock, I frowned and turned it slowly, hearing the metal wheels turn ever so slightly as they unlocked.

Devon looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. “That, my dear” He said, getting up from the table. “Is the question I’d like to know as well.”

“What was the purpose of you coming here?” I asked, wanting Devon to stay a little longer. He knew things that I need- no, wanted to find out.

                He gave me that smile of his again and bowed his head slightly before leaving the café. I watched him intently as he did so, scared that I would miss something important. I was so busy watching him that I had failed to notice my friends come back to the table in a rush. Each one scared and interested about what had happened.

“Don’t bother asking me.” I told them quickly when I finally realized they were there. “I just want to get home.”

                That’s how I went from there to here, opening the front door and instantly noticing that the glass table near the love seat was no longer a shattered mess or even there at all. As I closed the door and locked in I looked around curiously. Part of me didn’t want to be in the house any longer than I had to while the other part wanted to change into some shorts and lounge around as if nothing had happened.

“That, my dear is the question I’d like to know as well.”

                What the hell did he mean by that? Did I even want to know? Well, of course I did…I think. Who wouldn’t want to know if they had to spend there lives in the dark or with bad eye sight?

                Dropping my green plaided back pack on the floor by the door I strode to the love seat my parents bought a year before their deaths and plopped down, my hand reaching out to grab the ivory colored paper that sat on the pressed wood coffee table that I had never seen before today. I know that any normal person would have been paranoid and tensed up, but with all that I had been through I couldn’t help, but be relaxed. Paranoia got you nowhere.

Dear Ezimiah, The Ivory colored note read.

                I bought you this table to replace the one that had broke. Please try and be more careful next time.

                                                                                                                                                Sincerely,

                                                                                                                                                    Devon

                I felt my eye twitch. Who the hell did this guy think he was? Were there not rules about barging into people’s houses and good  crap like that? I felt my blood boil and that aching burn in my throat build up again. Devon was serious an evil guy. I was sure of it. If he wasn’t then he wouldn’t have broken into my house. Granted he gave me a really nice coffee table and cleaned up the glass, but he was still a bad guy.

Ding Dong!

                My heart stopped and my hands tightened on the letter that I still held in my grasp. Why was I suddenly scared? Was I becoming paranoid? Maybe I was paranoid from the start and just noticed it. Perhaps I was just a tad crazy because of my stressful day.