Chapter Three

(Trigger warning)

Kellin POV

I limped to school the next morning slowly. I was trying not to limp to hide it, but my foot hurt so bad….

I heard a car pull up next to me and tensed. Did my uncle decide to give me another beating before I got to school?

"Hey. Need a ride?" a semi-familiar voice asked. "You look like you could need one." I turned and saw Vic driving the car.

"Um, s-sure," I stuttered, climbing into the passanger side. He turned and smiled at me, but I could see the mild worry in his eyes.

"Why were you limping? Are you alright?" he asked as he turned back and began driving. I bit my lip and thought of a lie quickly.

"Yeah, I’m fine. I tripped walking home last night, twisted my ankle. Nothing serious," I lied, feeling bad for doing so. I never felt bad when i told someone a lie….

"Oh," is all he said, and I felt a pang of panic that he knew I was lying. "See, if you had waited for me, I could have given you a ride home," he teased. I tensed up a little.

"It’s okay, I can walk home," I said quickly. He gave me a weird look. "Okay, if you want to," he said reluctantly. "But it’s really cold. Don’t want you getting sick or something."

"I’ll be fine," I answered, looking out of the window. I’d die at the hands of my uncle before I ever caught a cold. "What was that?" Vic asked, glancing over at me. "You were mumbling.

I felt myself pale a little at the fact that I had said it aloud. "Um, I said that I have a really good immune system," I murmured before collapsing into silence.

It was best if I didn’t talk to anyone.

Vic POV

I sighed as I saw Kellin walk the other way, away from me. He hadn’t talked to me since this morning, and it seemed as though he wasn’t planning on it. But then again, he hadn’t talked to anyone all day.

We had some of the same classes, and I noticed that he always walked with his head down. He didn’t speak, and he always seemed deep in thought. I had just noticed today how…how fragile he was. He was thin, too thin to be normal. And he dark circles under his eyes, as if he hadn’t slept for days on end.

I wonder….

Does he even eat?

I mean, the kid eats like there’s no tomorrow when we’re at lunch. I’ve even seen him slip some food into his pocket when he thought no one was looking. I even saw him eat some in the middle of class.

"Hey Kellin!" I said, catching up to him in the hall. He glanced over at me, then quickly looked back down. "Hey Vic."

"Wanna hang out after school?" were the words that flew out of my mouth. I felt myself blush, so I turned to look at the ground. So much for being friendly and not overly creepy, Vic. Nice job.

"Um, I don’t know. Gotta go," he mumbled, almost running to his next class. I stopped walking in the middle of the hallway.

If he hated me so much, he could just tell me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was out of my chair the second the bell to go home rang.

I was going to catch Kellin andmakehim talk to me.

I caught him just as he was walking out. "Kellin! Wait!" I yelled. He paused, and seemed a little tense. His shoulders were shaking as he turned around.

"Y-yeah?" he asked quietly. I could see the tears in his eyes that he was holding back and the fear, but something told me that it wasn’t because of me.

"Are you alright, man?" I asked. He nodded his head quickly. "Yeah, I’m fine. But I really need to go, so bye," he said quickly, trying to turn away. I caught his wrist.

"No, talk to me. You stopped talking to me during gym yesterday. Why? Did I do something?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No, you didn’t."

"Then is it because you found out I was gay?" I blurted out. His eyes widened and he shook his head violently, then winced.

"No, no, no! I would never judge someone because of that! And I would be pretty messed up if I did, since I’m kinda gay too," he said, mumbling the last part. I couldn’t stop the smile from spreading across my face.

"Really? I thought I was alone!" I exclaimed, making him chuckle. "You’re not. But um, I really have to go now. See you at school tomorrow?" he replied quickly. I nodded, letting him go.

"Yeah. See you tomorrow."

Kellin POV

I ran home, trying to get there before my uncle did. If I got there before him, he wouldn’t be able to beat me. I could go a day without getting beaten. The thought made me run faster.

I burst through the door, out of breath really bad and wheezing. Still, I ran to my room and locked the door, then threw my backpack to the floor and reached into my back pocket for my inhaler. After a few puffs, I was okay.

I sat on my bed, staring at my scarred wrist. A couple more cuts wouldn’t hurt…

Besides, I was worthless anyway.

I took the back of my phone off slowly, with shaking hands. I grabbed the cool metal blade that was so familiar to my fingertips. Pressing it to my wrist, I drug it slowly across, watching the line of red form. After a few more slashes, I decided I should stop.

But I really didn’t want to.

Still, I sighed and put it away, sticking the phone case back on. I crawled into my bed after washing my arm, crying myself to sleep once again.