Chapter Four

Kellin POV

I’ve been at this school for a month. Vic and I are pretty good friends, as close as I’ll let him be. I’d consider him a best friend.

Everyday, I walked about a block away from my house and waited for him to pick me up for school. He would do so everyday with a smile, a smile that I didn’t deserve.

I met his brother Mike, and the people in his band, Jaime and Tony. They were really nice to me, but I could tell that they were wondering why Vic was friends with me.

I kept running as fast as I could as I thought, trying to get away from what was chasing me.

"Come back here, you little faggot!" my uncle shouted. I ran into my room and tried to shut the door, and suceeded. I was trying to get it locked when he slammed into the door, making me let out a yell. "Queer!"

I ignored what he was saying and how much it hurt me, locking the door. I knew it would take more than that to keep him out, though, so I stuck a chair under the knob. I leaned against it, letting out a deep breath.

It was time for this to end.

I sprinted to my bathroom, locking that door too. I grabbed the pills that I had been stashing and the alcohol I stole from my uncle. I quickly unscrewed the lid and tossed back about five, not knowing what the hell I was taking. It didn’t matter. This had to end.

I chased it with about half of the bottle, waiting for the banging to stop on my bedroom door as I waited for death to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Five Minutes Later~~~~~~~~~~~~

I leaned over the toilet, ignoring the way my head was spinning as I tried to make myself vomit the pills. It just wasn’t working.

Why was I stupid enough to do this? Why find a permanent solution to a temporary problem?

I’m such a weak fucking person.

I sobbed as I gagged myself again, nothing coming up. I finally gave up, leaning against my bathtub. The banging on my door had stopped and I walked out. I was stumbling, but I ignored it. I grabbed my phone, tripping my own feet.

To:Vic

Help me, please

And that was when I blacked out.

Vic POV

"Hold on, guys! Sorry, my phone’s vibrating," I said, cutting off my band as we were rehearsing. Mike groaned. "Just turn the damn thing off, Vic!"

"Hey, how about you shut the hell up," I suggested, pulling my phone out of my pocket and reading the text.

From:Kellin

Help me, please

I felt a small stab of panic, texting him back quickly.

To:Kellin

Where are you? What happened?

He never answered.

"I gotta go!" I spit out before throwing my guitar onto the couch and running out. I could hear them complaining, but I had to get to Kellin.

I started my car and backed out, starting to drive to his house. I knew where he lived, but I had never been there. He always had me pick him up a few blocks away from his house.

I knocked on the door, leaving the car running. No one answered and I tried my luck, seeing if the door was unlocked. It was and I ran in, not expecting what I was seeing.

An older man-maybe forty or so-was passed out drunk on the couch. I figured it was Kellin’s uncle. He told me that he lived with his uncle, but that’s all he ever said about him.

I could see why.

The house was a mess, and it was silent besides that guy’s snores. I rolled my eyes and made my way down the dark hallway, opening all the doors to see which one was Kellin’s room. The last door I got to was locked. And something told me that he was in there, in trouble.

I kept slamming my shoulder against the door, yelling his name. He wasn’t answering, so I was beginning to wonder if he was even in there. When I was about to give up, I finally got it open.

"kellin?" I shouted, looking around. I spotted him, on the floor leaning against his bed, his eyes closed. In his hand was a bottle of vodka.

"Kellin!" I yelled, running to him and kneeling next to him. I shook him hard, almost choking on the putrid scent of alcohol coming off of him. "Wake up!" I shook him one last time before hurrying to his bathroom to grab a cup of cold water to see if that would wake him up. When I got in there, I spotted the bottle of pills, the contents scattered.

No no no.

No NO NO NO NO.

I rushed back out to him, feeling the sting of tears. "Wake up, Kellin!" I shouted, hitting his arm and shaking him. I checked to see if he was still breathing. I could barely feel his breath, but it was there. His heart was beating too slow to be healthy.

Before I knew what I was doing, I leaned down and started doing chest compressions, doing mouth to mouth. His lips were as soft as I imagined they would be.

"You can’t die, Kells," I whispered as I called 911. "I haven’t told you how I feel yet. You can’t die on me now, not like this!"

I hung up the phone with the police, knowing help was on the way now. I was breathing quickly, tears running down my face. "No, please, keep breathing!" I cried, leaning down and doing mouth to mouth again. He responded a little, and he actually seemed to be waking up.

"Kellin? Can you hear me? Just hold onto my voice and wake up. Stay with me, Kells, please," I yelled. He opened his eyes, and they were bloodshot.

"Vic?" he asked, his vocie cracking. I nodded and shushed him. "Yeah, just stay with me."

He nodded and closed his eyes. I was panicking until he reached over and intertwined our fingers. "I’m awake," he assured me in a whisper. "Just keep squeezing my hand."

I squeezed his hand tightly. "I’m dizzy," he mumbled, opening his eyes again. I bit my lip. "Help’s coming," is all I answered. "But why?"

A look of such sadness came over his face that I wanted to cry and comfort him, anything to make that look disappear. "I’ll tell you if I live, alright?" he whispered. I let out a cry.

"You will live, Kellin. you have to."

He nodded, but didn’t seem to mean it. It hurt my heart to know that I was so close to loosing him. "Vic?" he whispered.

"yeah?" I whispered back. he smiled weakly. "Thanks for coming to save me."

I smiled back slightly and whispered an "anytime" when he fell unconscious, just as the EMT’s walked in.

I followed the ambulance to the hospital, letting the tears overtake me. They were so bad that I almost pulled over. But I had to be there for Kellin at the hospital when he woke up.

And he WOULD wake up.