Prologue

"Soo-won?"

"Hm?" He responds. He was probably half asleep considering the time of night.

"Why do I keep losing my family?"
It was a genuine question. I had lost my birth parents to the war, and now I've lost my only real father to murder.

"I don't know," He says. "Try and get some sleep."

"Soo-won, what'll happen to us?"

"We're going to stay with Uncle and Yona for a little bit until everything gets settled."

I sit up abruptly. "But he's the one who did this!" I say angrily.

He sits up as well and looks over to me. "We do not know that." He says monotonously. His face held no emotion.

"We saw him do it, Soo-won!"

"But they do not know that, and we must not let them know of our knowledge on this situation. Act oblivious. Whatever they tell you, go along with it."

"But-"

He puts a hand over my mouth and we hear footsteps. Neither of us move until we are sure they are gone.

"Do not say a word about it, I can't afford to lose you as well, Meissa." He whispers.

I nod my head in understanding. I couldn't lose him either. He was all I had and I refused to have him taken away from me.

"I'm going to become strong, Soo-won. I'll become as strong as father was and even then I won't stop." I say.

That night I made a vow to protect Soo-won, and I know for certain that be made one as well. But it wouldn't be for another ten years before I discovered what it was.