Escape from Hiryuu

Hak sets me down gently on the ground as we find a place to rest.

"Did Min-su... die?" She asks. "Will I die too? Is Soo-won going to kill you too?"

"I'm not going to give my life to that bastard." Hak says.

I get slightly angry at that despite all that's happened.

"Don't die, Hak. I forbid... you... to die..." She says as she falls asleep.

He turns to me. I was wide awake, but in a lot of pain. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm confused, what happened? Why were you and Soo-won fighting?"

His eyes widen in shock. "You don't know?"

I shake my head and hold up my wrist that still had the cuff and part of the chain attached. "He chained me up in a room and wouldn't tell me what was going on. Said that he couldn't trust me because of you." I explain. "I don't understand any of this Hak. Soo-won was different just then."

"Soo-won killed the king, Meissa. Your uncle is dead."

I sigh. "He had it coming."

Hak's eyes widen in shock.

"I do not feel one ounce of remorse for that man."

"He's your family-"

"He's a murderer!" I yell not caring if Yona woke. "I watched him kill my father in cold blood, I was only five years old and had to deal with my father's death Hak. No child should have to watch their father die and then throw it aside like it never happened. Soo-won did what was right!"

"Soo-won is as much as a murderer as King Il now." Hak says angrily. "Why did you even come with us?"

"I wanted to make sure you were safe..." I say quietly. "Although I suppose I'm only a burden now."

He shakes his head. "You helped us escape. My life and the princess' are in your debt."

"I didn't even do anything, I could barely move."

"Just you being there had the guards being more careful. If you had gotten hurt they would have lost their lives and they knew it. And you fought well despite your condition."

I wanted to be closer to him. I wanted it to be like when we were under the cherry blossoms. He wasn't even three feet away. I tried to crawl over there but I was stuck. I feel the only reason I was able to move earlier was the fear of something happening to Hak. I wasn't scared anymore. I couldn't feel anything.

"You really shouldn't move around so much. You need to wait until the effects of the tranquilizer wear off."

I look towards the ground. "I don't understand why he did this to me. That's not how he is. He would never do this."

"I think he only had good intentions, I don't think he wanted any harm to come to you. He knew you would try and protect him or that you would fight against him. He couldn't physically fight you, much less with me along side with you. He needed you out of the way so you wouldn't get hurt. I honestly believe that even though he had been lying to us all this whole time, you're the only person he cares for." He explains.

"Do you think he hates me? I chose you over him. I betrayed him."

"I don't think he could ever hate you. You're all he has."

"But I left him..."

He shakes his head. "It doesn't matter anymore Meissa. If you want to stay with him then I'll leave you here until you're found, or until you can get yourself home. I have to worry about the princess for now."

I flinched at his words. "I can't stand you..." I say as I look everywhere but where he's sitting. "I can't stand you but for some reason I adore you at the same time. I don't want to hear you choose her over me. I don't even want to see it, but my whole life all I've done is just that. Why do you think I left those four years?" I was holding back tears. "It's because you and Soo-won both always chose her!" I say pointing at her angrily.

The more emotion that built up inside me the more strength I felt I had. I just wanted to hit him.

He never said anything, he just stared at me. I turned away from him and laid down in the grass. I wondered what Soo-won was feeling. Did he really care for me? Was he worried about me?

When I woke the next morning I was being carried.

I opened my eyes to see the sun peeking through the trees.

"Good morning, Princess." He says.

I look at him. He looked tired.

"Did you sleep last night?" I ask.

He just looked at me. I took that as a no.

"Where are we going?"

"To my home in the capital of Fuga."