Significance - Chapter Five

"Gran!" Caleb's hand released mine as his hands flew in the air. "This is not the way I wanted to explain things," Caleb said and I could feel how exasperated he was.

"It's gotta be done. It'll be worse on her if we don't get it all out in the open. We all know it. She's human. The deed is done. Nothing can be changed now. We can pretend all we want to that there's another choice, but the girl will have to be with you."

"I have to be with him," I repeated before Caleb could say anything else. "You mean with him physically around, like all the time, or I'll get sick like I did this morning?"

"Yes. It's worse in the beginning, but it fades some. You will always need each other. After you ascend, things will be even more different than now, in a good way. I know it's scary right now-"

I cut her off. I wasn't scared. I was feeling an eclectic rainbow of emotions, but scared wasn't one of them.

"I get all that. Don't worry, I'm not scared. I'm not upset. I'm just not sure how to make it all work. This is..." I rubbed my temples and closed my eyes for just a few seconds. "Crazy. I mean, yesterday I was a nobody seventeen-year-old who graduated high school and had normal problems like everybody else."

"Look." She leaned forward and patted my hand. "I know this is a lot to take in but you wanted the facts. I'm not a baker, so I'm not about to sugar coat it for you. The thing is, there's a reason this happened. You are the first imprint in twenty years in our clan. That's a big deal. The fact that you're human and incredibly young has to mean something."

"This isn't just because I saved him, is it? Some miss-fired imprint false alarm or something?"

Everyone laughed again. Even Caleb beside me. I could feel him shake, and though I was slightly teasing, I was also dead serious.

"Caleb was right. You are fabulous." I looked at him and he winked as she went on. "No, honey, no false alarms with imprints."

"Ok. So, I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to do. Or be. I mean, what happens to you after you imprint? Kyle said something about ascending and getting abilities. And if you don't imprint you don't ascend and you don't get any abilities. That's why this is such a big deal, right? Because no one is getting any of these...gifts?"

"Exactly," Mr. Jacobson said.

Then I felt something. That little push I felt yesterday when Caleb was in my head. But this time, my mind didn't welcome it. It didn't hurt, but it was annoying and fuzzy. I felt my brow furrow and something zapped in somehow. There were images moving in rapid form and fashion, images of kicks and punches and techniques. My eyelids fluttered and I heard my breath come in and out quickly. Then it all of a sudden just stopped.

Everyone was staring at me expectantly. Caleb had one arm around me and the other holding my hand. I looked up to his face. He looked a little peeved actually, but waited for me to catch my breath.

"You could've warned her," Caleb growled to someone and then looked back at me. Finally he spoke softly, though I knew they all could hear. "What did you see?"

"I saw...um, karate?"

"Very good, Maggie." Mr. Jacobson scooted to the edge of his chair and smiled at me. "I was teaching you basic karate actually."

"I'm sorry?" I squeaked.

"That's my gift or ability or power, whatever you want to call it. I can learn at an exponential rate. Then, I can help my family by teaching them anything I've learned that they need to know to protect them or help them do a task by sending those images to their mind. I learn just as quickly as you just did and I then teach you that quickly as well. You, for example, just learned basic beginner's karate in less than ten seconds. I figured if I was going to teach you something, it may as well be something useful to you," he said and smirked.