Significance - Chapter Fifteen

After my shower, I put on my pajamas and went downstairs to get something to eat, but my throat was already starting to hurt so I decided on a glass of juice instead and went back upstairs to sit in my chair and wait. It'd been almost an hour since I got home and I was already feeling sick.

I sighed in aggravation. One little rain and I was gonna have the flu and miss work. I heard a knock on my door and Dad peeked in.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I lied so he wouldn't spend all night checking on me. "Thanks."

"How was work?" he asked as he came to stand over me.

"Good. They gave me this."

I showed him the bracelet still on my wrist. He examined it and smiled.

"Very pretty, what was it for?"

I was reluctant to say and now wished I hadn't said anything at all.

"Graduation present," I muttered softly.

Dad hadn't gotten me anything, barely said anything to me except a muttered congrats and I spent all graduation day doing laundry and dishes while he watched television.

"Oh," he said and looked about as shamed as I'd ever seen him. But then fit on a weak smile. "Well, that was very nice of them."

"Yeah, it was."

"I'll have to thank Big John for looking out for you." He squatted in front of my chair. "Maggie, I know I said it already but I feel like I need to say it again. I'm sorry."

"It's ok, Dad. I forgave you, that means it's done. Don't worry about it, you're more than making up for it now."

"And you're sweet to forgive me, but a father can't just pretend like he didn't abandon his daughter for months while he moped around. I promise you, I'm going to do everything I can to make it up to you. I love you, baby girl."

I accepted his hard hug and muffled a reply to him.

"I love you, too, Dad. I never stopped."

"I know." He pulled back to look at me. "That's what makes this all so surreal."

"Dad," I protested.

"I mean it. I expected you to be angry and you were, but... I never expected you to forgive me so easily. I don't deserve you."

"Come on, Dad. Jeez," I groaned.

"All right, all right." He kissed my forehead. "I'll check on you later."

"No need, Dad. I'm really tired from work. I'm fine, just gonna head to bed."

"Ok. Goodnight."

"Night, Dad."

I waited until I heard his footsteps on the stairs and then went to lock my door. I sprawled myself out on the bed and felt my throat with my hand. It was uncomfortably sore and I was very tired now. I knew I should get up. I glanced at the clock and saw it was still only 9:30. I needed to get up so I didn't fall asleep when Caleb wasn't here.

But that's not what happened.

I woke later. I must have just dozed off for a second and I sighed in relief as I looked around and realized everything was fine and the same. I silently chastised myself for being so stupid. I sat up and checked the clock. Yep, dozed. The clock read 9:36.

I ran my fingers through my hair and checked my phone. I decided I'd read again and wait for Caleb. I twirled a strand of my hair nervously and got about two sentences read when I heard a noise out my window.