Significance - Chapter Thirty

I ran upstairs and pulled out my school track duffel bag. I didn't own a suitcase because we never went anywhere. I stuffed as many dresses and skirts I could in it then a couple pairs of jeans and shirts then the essentials and I was done. By then it was almost time for Caleb to be here and it amazed me how I still got butterflies thinking about him. I wondered if it'd ever go away. I hoped not.

I pulled and dragged my bag down the hall and stairs because it was too heavy and bulky, shouldering my purse at the same time-and heard laughter behind me. I looked down the stairs to see Caleb, Peter, Dad and Bish all chuckling, watching me struggle. I placed my hands on my hips and gave my best glare, but it didn't stop the laughter. If anything it made it worse.

"I'll get that," Caleb said, swiftly scaling the steps and lifting the bag easily, smirking at me.

I thought with my new man arms I would be able to lift a duffel bag.

Caleb laughed in my mind.

You're stronger than you were, but you're still not Wonder Woman.

Ha, ha.

"Ready?" he asked still smirking.

"Yeah."

"Let's go then."

We all piled in the cars and they went straight to the police station. I gave my brief statement as Peter explained that we were needing to catch a flight. They were perplexed as to how Caleb had found me but Peter could be very persuasive and smooth talking. We were out of there in ten minutes.

As I sat in the back with Caleb, I rubbed my wrist, mourning the loss of my bracelet, the only real thing I had to remember the only people who were there for me this year. Caleb reached over and wrapped his fingers around my wrist. When I looked up at him, he smiled sadly, feeling my pain. I just shrugged. What else could I do?

We had about forty minutes until our flight left by the time we made it to the airport drop-off, cutting it close. Peter spoke to me in my mind, advising me about the explosion of voices and information I'd get when we got to the airport.

Ok, Maggie, he started, but didn't look at me, just faced forward so Bish wouldn't see him staring at me. Now, whenever you're in a crowd, just focus on Caleb. When you focus, you won't let anything in but what you want to. It's only when your mind is open or caught off guard that you're overwhelmed. It'll take a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it in no time. You'll be ready for it before it happens. So, when we get there, just focus on someone before you step out of the car and you'll be fine, ok?

I couldn't nod or anything, because he wouldn't see so I just took it that he knew I'd heard him.

We pulled up and I knew the person who was going to grab me first would be Dad, so I focused on only reading him. When he opened the door, I winced waiting for the overload of voices, but heard nothing but Dad's wary inner monolog as he hugged me to him. He looked at me closely and tested his theory.

Can you hear me?

I nodded slightly.

I want you to be careful. Be watchful, don't let your guard down and I want you to know that I'm...proud of you. You're a beautiful woman now with a sweet heart, trying to keep your old man from worrying about you, but I'll always be your dad and I'll always worry. Comes with the territory, but I like Caleb and his family is...something else. I like them, too. You did good, kiddo. Now, listen. I know what you have to do but I want you two to sleep on the couch, ok? I don't think it's a good idea for you to share a bedroom, though I understand the need to sleep with him. Got it? I nodded again. I love you more than life and I want you to have a good time but not too good. Why don't you think about college while you're there...and be careful...and don't do anything crazy...and call me every day.