Significance - Chapter Six

Gladly, Gran did not continue her plight for safe sex with me. In fact, she didn't speak of anything about our imprinting at all. She just asked me questions about things; school, my dad, my brother, growing up.

The other ladies in the kitchen listened intently when I answered. The little girl I'd seen in the window had apparently been held back from the meeting we had earlier and was now bouncing around me as I sliced bananas. She was about seven years old I'd guess and was very cute in her green dress and ponytail.

Everyone decided to eat outside so I helped set the tables and bring out dishes of hot concoctions. I texted Bish really quick while I had a few seconds.

Hey. Thanks for the congrats. I miss you. I can't wait to see you. The sooner the better. Dad's pretty bad but we're making it. How're things in NY?

As expected, the fastest typer in NY, who always had his phone attached to his hip, answered within thirty seconds.

Man, I miss you, too, kid. I'm sorry about Dad. I'll try to send a little bit more money in a couple weeks but things are crazy expensive here. Other than that, things are...ok. I'll start looking at when I can get a few days off soon. Love ya.

I typed back.

Don't worry about us. We're fine. Love you, too.

When I made my final trip into the kitchen to help I saw the men had moved outside and were already parked in their chairs. Most of the women were seated as well. I saw the empty seat next to Caleb, put my dish down and started to make my way over to him.

I felt like everyone was watching me. I'd felt like that all day and was glad I hadn't just grabbed a hoodie and jeans like I would have any other Saturday.

The little girl who was following me around grabbed my hand before I could reach him. She smiled up at me angelically and swung our arms as we walked.

"I'm Maria."

"Hi, Maria. I'm Maggie."

"I know that, silly. Everyone knows who you are."

"Oh. Well." I was sure I grimaced so I thought of something to say. "Where are you sitting?"

"Well, I usually sit next to Uncle Caleb, but since you're here, momma said I have to give up my seat."

"Oh. You can sit by him. Really, I don't want to take your seat."

"It's ok. Hi, Uncle Caleb!" She ran to him as he got up and hugged him tightly. "I brought Maggie to you."

"I can see that," he patted her back and smiled at me, "thank you."

"So," she said more loudly and I was wary of the mischievous grin on her chubby cheeks. "Do you love my Uncle Caleb, Maggie? He's really nice and he plays sports," she said as if trying to convince me.

Everyone looked and I swore my heart stopped. I laughed nervously and tucked my hair behind my ear, but Caleb rescued me again.

"Maria, don't you want Maggie to come back?"

"Yes."

"Then let's try not to embarrass her, ok?"

"But she's gonna marry you isn't she?" she spouted with sudden alarm. "I heard Momma say that you were! You can't get married unless you love each other. Cause then all the babies will be born with no love in them-"

"Maria," her mother whispered loudly. She covered a laugh in her fist. "Come sit down. I think you've scared Maggie enough for one day."

I felt my cheeks blazing and bit my bottom lip. I wondered if I'd be permanently colored from all the blushing in one day. I looked up at Caleb and he was sighing and shaking his head as everyone chuckled around us.