Konohagakure (Last Chapter)

A/N: One important announcement at the end!

::

"You seemed a bit... lenient with your information, wouldn't you say?" Kabuto remarked. The three of them trudged through the snow of Iron Country on their way to Otogakure. Kakuzu had to agree with that statement. She'd given out everything they asked for like candy, no real reservation or hint that she had something to hide. Sakura gave a sly smile.

"Yes, but does that information carry any heavy weight?"

Kabuto furrowed his brow. "Heavy weight?"

"First they asked of my association with Konoha. I stated I had none, an obvious fact as it was. Two, they asked about the Akatsuki, who were in fact an international problem in the past. I agreed that they integrated into the village but I gave no particular idea to what position they had in the system, aside from Kakuzu-san, who had no other excuse to attending the Summit. Why would I tell their deeper purposes? Then came the mention of land. Uncharted territory that became ours. All I did was add some more fluff to it."

Kabuto rubbed the back of his neck and started to think he became more of an influence on her than he first thought.

"And then there were the alliances we made. Well, that just came out of the recent addition of our history textbooks," she said. "Anyone can get their hands on them once they go into circulation. Those textbooks also happen to include my personal report of what happened with the Jomae—nearly everything I told the other Kage. Last was the announcement of Sasori-san's active status. Now he doesn't have to wear a hood and mask whenever he goes out on missions with his genin team. If I didn't disclose this up front, I'm positive that everyone would have a fit."

An owl soared high over their heads before diving down and perching on Sakura's shoulder. It held a dead frog in its beak.

It placed it in her hand.

"Besides, Konoha isn't quite playing by the rules. Who's to say that I can't do the same?" she grinned, holding up the small amphibian. The two in her company stared at her for a few long moments, stunned at what they just heard. Yes, everything she said at the Summit... was common knowledge to the people. Absolutely nothing she discussed had been a village secret or had any true value to it.

Kakuzu pinned a stare at the shorter man. "You did a swell job in raising that one."

"Better than I ever imagined," Kabuto chuckled. It subsided once he focused on the summon on her shoulder, "but how do you explain that?"

Sakura scratched the top of the owl's head, pleased when it made a cute crooning sound. "There were unusual animal densities in the area, which included the population of dogs and frogs. Once Bunko-san informed me of this development, I decided to play my hand in it as well."

Suddenly, they felt as if they were being watched. Along with their snow-colored surroundings came hundreds upon hundred of bright yellow eyes. The amount of owls they were witnessing felt unbelievably ominous. Kakuzu shook his head.

"You're insane."

"As you've told me many times before."

The eyes disappeared soon after, probably to resume their predatory watch over the other shinobi still in the country. Kabuto really was content with his choice to stay with her in Otogakure eight years ago. She sure as hell wasn't an Orochimaru, but maybe that was for the better.

"What about the faux treaty with Konoha?" he asked.

"An excuse, of course. What Kakashi-san said was true, after all. If Naruto found out, he would come to Oto and cause a stir. That's unacceptable," she said. "So I'll deal with everything in that village. My old team, my old friends, my old sensei, the council..." Her eyes glimmered. "... and probably something about the Uchiha."