Chapter Ten

Sadiwe's POV

"Why are you avoiding him?", Dentaa said after lifting the curtain to look around the compound. It was littered with people eating, drinking and chattering.

I sat facing the wall of the room contemplating whether or not to tell her what had happened.

"Well are you going to tell me?", she crossed her arms and walked over to me.
Okay, there was no use in hiding it, she was after all my best friend.
Besides, my big mouth would have blabbed it sooner or later anyway.

Taking a deep breath, I finally confessed,"He kissed me."

"So? Isn't that what you wanted?", she raised an eyebrow in confusion, arms still folded.

"Yes...I mean no", I stuttered and exhaled, realizing I sounded like a total idiot.
What is wrong with me.

"I don't know!", I hid her face in my palms.

"Many people are looking for love,you happened to find one and you're running away?"
"Look at him, I feel sorry for him,
he is pouring his heart out to you and you choose to hide? ",
Dentaa said in a motherly tone.

"I hate it when you talk like that.", I laughed and looked at her in an apologetic manner.
"What do you suppose I do? Huh?"

"Sadi, that, is up to you.", she shook her head and lay down on the mat on the other side of the room.

~●~
"Good morning.", I yawned as I greeted my brothers Demba and Eyadema in the hallway.
They were involved in a conversation.

They greeted me back and resumed with their talking.
Rude.

I went into the kitchen, expecting my grandmother to be there.
But she wasn't.

"Samala!", I cried out.
I moved out of the kitchen to the backyard when I didn't receive a response and sure enough there the old lady was, harvesting herbs from the shrubs.

"I want to go to the river, can I?", I asked as she bent down to gather the sprigs and leaves Samala had missed.

"I don't know why you bother to ask anyway child, you'll go even if I say no.", Samala shook her head.

Giggling, I got up and picked the basket full of vegetables and leaves.

"I'll go put this inside for you Matouré", I smiled and squeezed her hand.

After doing so, I rushed to the river, which wasn't too far from the palace.
I sat at the mouth of the river and waded my feet in the cool water. I leaned back, closed my eyes and sighed.

"Why are you avoiding me?", a sharp angry voice pierced through my ears from behind.

I abruptly turned and got up.

"Rubadiri.", I said, looking away.

He steadily walked towards me, not breaking his stare for a second.
He took my hand, and lead to a spot under a tree.

"Answer me.", he said firmly as he let go of me hand.
His tone was a rouse, his eyes completely gave him away.
My back was against the tree.
His hands against the tree at both my sides, trapping me.

I saw the anger flash in his eyes as I looked up at him and I knew I had to answer his question.

"I'm afraid."

"Afraid of what?", his neck strained. He was losing his patience.

"That you don't sincerely love me... I mean you've known me for.."

I was cut off as he collided his lips hard onto mine.
My knees suddenly became weak.
I was losing support of my own body.
I felt the roughness of his stubble against my face.
He deepened the kiss as he raised up my leg and let it latch around his waist, sliding his hand up and down my thigh impatiently. His fingers dug into my hair, clutching me hard and bringing me closer to his body.
As if I was going to escape.  Everything became hazy, even the running of the water. All I could hear and feel was his heaving,hot, bare, chiseled chest.
Ny breath became shaky and I let out a moan.
He caught that same shaky breath I was trying to inhale with his lips.
His lips tasted like wild fruits and he smelt of fresh dew. He had probably eaten some earlier.
He moaned when I deepened the kiss myself, giving him permission to explore my mouth as much as he wanted.
I don't know what had come over me.
All sense was lost when he touched me.
I couldn't like straight.
His hands began to roam all over my body, up and down my thigh curled around his waist.
He broke away from the kiss, his chest heaving heavily as he looked down at her.
What?! Why did he stop.
I wanted more.
I looked at him, my body begging for more.
Free me from this torment, Rubadiri touch me again.

He ran his thumb along the seam of my lower lip which were swollen from the rough way he kissed me and kissed my forehead then my nose.

I looked into his big beautiful hazel eyes.

"Does this prove that I love you?", his face reclinedz into a gentle smile as he looked at me.

Huh?